2 people on one computer

Probably a simple question, I just need a bit of reasurance!

2 of us are using the same computer to do 2 completly different projects (one soil the other neuropsychology!)and I'm struggling to see how we "log out" of one library and in to another to add items to it.

In the gears menu ->preferences -> sync it is possible to add another's credentials. But on clicked the Sync button I get a message saying
"this zotero database was last synced with a different account. If you continue both libraries will be combined

To avoid combining or losing data, revert to the 'M.Harris' account or use the Reset options in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences."

What do I do! I haven't clicked anything yet through fear of losing all my items!

Thanks in advance!

I'm using Zotero version 2.1.6 and firefox 3.6.17
  • Zotero itself isn't suitable for multiple users on the same machine.
    Generally it seems advisable to use separate user accounts on a computer for separate users. If that's not an option, you can also use separate Firefox profiles:
    https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing-profiles

(Btw. you should update Zotero and Firefox to 2.1.10 and 3.6.24 respectively. Running outdated software doesn't just make it more likely for you to experience (since fixed) bugs, it also, especially in the case of FF, exposes you to security risks).
  • Hello,
    Can this also be dealt with by running one account on the Zotero standalone version and running another account on the firefox plugin? My goal is similar to having two different users on the same computer, but instead I'm hoping to use ZSA as a file manager, and maintain it separately from my scientific journal library as a browswer plugin (and conceivably running at the same time).

Thanks
  • Yes, you can do that. You need to make sure to tell ZSA to use its own profile during install (which is an option). The default is to share the ZFF profile.