Password Prompt

Not sure if this should be in "troubleshooting" or "feature request." This is not a bug, but rather just an annoying behavior.

I use Zotero for Firefox. I sync my Zotero library to a WebDAV server and I also have a master password set in Firefox. If Firefox is open for a few minutes (and I haven't entered my master password since I opened it), even without being opened, Zotero will prompt for my master password (if I click "cancel", Zotero will say it cannot sync my library). This alone can be annoying (e.g., when watching videos online, Zotero might interrupt playback to ask for the master password).

Furthermore, if I leave Firefox open for an extended period of time without opening Zotero (e.g., if I'm away from my desk for a while), when I get back, Zotero will repeatedly prompt for the master password. Sometimes it will ask me to enter my master password 3 or 4 times in a row.

This is annoying behavior. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make it so that Zotero does not prompt for the master password unless it is opened.
  • Thanks for the link to the other thread.

Even after reading the other thread, I still think this is an issue with Zotero that should be fixed.

Is there any reason why Zotero should try to sync every hour (rather than just after changes are made)? If so, is there a way to make sure that auto-syncing only initiates when Zotero is open (i.e., if it begins syncing and I close Zotero, it will finish syncing; but, it will only start syncing if Zotero is actually open)?

Or perhaps there could be two different auto-sync option check boxes: (1) Auto-sync library after changes are made, and (2) Auto-sync library every hour. I think it's useful for Zotero to auto-sync after changes, but the results of the every-hour auto sync are pretty annoying.
  • Is there any reason why Zotero should try to sync every hour (rather than just after changes are made)?
    yes. You want to sync potential changes on the server/a different computer.