Separate field for reprinted papers?

Is there a separate field to indicate "reprint" of a previously published article?
  • thanks mronkko - I didn't want to be the only one giving wonblee one-sylable bad news ;-).

Wonblee - how would you want a citation to look? Maybe something can be done with a workaround now, maybe we can implement something in the future - within reason, though. Often reprint citations require two full-scale citations packed in one. We won't allow that any time soon.
  • edited February 5, 2012
    I've thought about it, and adding a second citation followed by a hard-typed "reprinted in" could work for now. The only problem with this kind of approach is that the writer must remember the fact that the reference was later reprinted. I agree that packing two full-scale citations in one is not ideal in solving this issue. It probably would entail altering the database structure significantly too.

Is there any room to maneuver around the "related tab"? If the citation insertion pane displays all the related references automatically once a citation has been chosen, it could aid the writer to remember to put the two citation in the original/reprint format.
  • If the citation insertion pane displays all the related references automatically once a citation has been chosen, it could aid the writer to remember to put the two citation in the original/reprint format.
    I like this suggestion! It would find good service in legal writing, too, which makes heavy use of relations. Perhaps display the first-hit item, and offer the remainder as an expandable list (scroll-to-item + right-arrow)?
  • I don't know how it would work for other citation styles, but I've found that the following works for citing reprints in MLA style. The two sets of published details for the essay I needed to cite were:

Original publication:
    Murray, Donald M. "Teach Writing as a Process Not Product." The Leaflet (1972): 11-14.

Reprinted version appears in:
    Cross-Talk in Comp Theory. 2nd ed. Urbana, IL: NCTE, 2003. 3-6.

What I did was add the essay with the original publication details in all of the Zotero fields, but then I entered the reprint details as part of the "Pages" field, after the original's page range (separated from those pages by a period and space). I entered the reprint book (Cross-Talk) with the title surrounded by <.i.> and <./i.> (without the periods - I added those to this post to escape it from HTML code) mainly for my own memory, so I knew I'd need to go back and manually format it for italics, but when I generated the bibliography, it automatically turned the bracketed bits to italics for me! So it actually worked perfectly, so I got this as the full citation:

Murray, Donald M. “Teach Writing as a Process Not Product.” The Leaflet (1972): 11–14. Rpt. in Cross–Talk in Comp Theory. 2nd ed. Urbana, IL: NCTE, 2003. 3–6. Print.
  • Thanks, Dionymia. That works great!