[LibreOffice] Cannot switch document format from referencemarks to bookmarks

Can anybody help me with this problem?

I need to switch the document format in LibreOffice 3.4.4 to bookmarks instead of referencemarks to enable my coauthors (they use Word) to revise the document.
But in the Document preference the bookmarks option is greyed out.

I use Libreoffice with Zotero 3.0.1 and the Libreoffice integration addon version 3.5.1 on Firefox 9.0 .
I have the problem on my Windows 7 laptop, but also on my Ubuntu Oneiric desktop.

I tried the suggestions in this thread with no result:
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/16495/wordzoterolibreoffice-bookmark-handling/

The problem exists also when I try to change the preferences on an empty document.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • bookmarks can't handle footnotes - could that be it?
    I.e. if you're using a note based style like Chicago Manual of Style you wouldn't be able to switch.
  • Hi Adamsmith,

I think that must be the problem. When I select a different style, I can select the bookmark style. Thank you!
    Now to look for s style that is supported and gives the needed reference information.
  • you could switch back and forth. I.e. do all the collaboration in bookmarks with some Harvard style (or Chicago author-date), then at the end switch back to reference marks (or fields in Word) and to Chicago (Full Note) or whatever you want to use.
  • Is there anyway to get this fixed/changed? I like LibreOffice and am dependent on Zotero, but I too need to be able to save for Word-only users without a loss of data or accessibility to changing text.
  • beyond my workaround above, no. It's not something that Zotero can solve, it's a LO/Bookmarks limitation.