[Fixed] this.base.givens[this.gnameset] is undefined

Yesterday, everything was working smoothly. Today, as i opened my document to work and while trying to insert reference i came across

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
TypeError: this.base.givens[this.gnameset] is undefined"

I updated to later versions, all the same. I cannot even insert bibliography, or edit citations bibliography.

Does anyone have any suggestions please ???
  • error report ID?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
    also - which citation style and does this happen in a new document, too?
  • edited May 1, 2012
    Report ID:5670252
    Style : Chicago Manual of style [Dated Note with Bibliography, no Ibid]

I created a new document where i copy pasted the text i had problems with, the same error occurs again.

However, when i create a new document and write from scratch i don't have any problems.

The thing is that from yesterday till today that the problem occured I did not do anything -windows/firefox/ms office updates- neither installed any programs etc.
  • Here's the full error:
    this.base.givens[this.gnameset] is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 12476}
  • this looks like a bug introduced at some point after the 3.0.3 version of Zotero - I've e-mailed the maintainer of citeproc to have a look.
    If you're in a hurry, downgrade to version 3.0.3
    http://download.zotero.org/extension/zotero-3.0.3.xpi
    and temporarily disable automatic add-on updates (tools-->add-ons)
    Keep watching this thread for updates.
  • I'm so grateful to both of you for your immediate answers and help!!!
    Downgrading solved the issue.

Thank you very much again !
  • edited May 2, 2012
    @Utopia2012: Try installing this plugin (no need to re-upgrade). It will replace the citation processor in your Zotero with the latest release (which contains a fix for this bug).

If the document that was broken continues to work normally after installing the plugin, we'll know the fix was the right one.

(Edit: I have so far been unable to reproduce this, so we're in your hands for testing.)
  • @fbennett : I installed it and it works smoothly, so I guess the fix is successful !

Thanks for your help again !
  • Great to hear, thanks for checking it out. One final favor: could you visit gear menu -> Report Errors, and check to see if there are any errors relating to "zotero-processor"? There shouldn't be, but just to be sure.
  • No, there is not any problem, as far as i see, relating to "zotero-processor".
  • edited May 3, 2012
    That's great. You can leave the plugin in place for now. Be sure to remove it when you upgrade to the next Zotero version that comes out, though, so that the processor upgrades normally.

Other than that, it's back to work for both of us. :) Thanks again.
  • Just another feedback: I had the same problem (Libre Office, Ubuntu, FF, CMOS citation style, all current stable versions). I wanted to upgrade an older document to zotero 2.1 which failed. After installing the gadget everything works fine.

Thanks for the quick workaround!
  • Fixed in 3.0.7, now available. Be sure to uninstall Frank's extra extension if you installed it.
  • Dan: didn't think of it this time around, but if this "patch plugin" is needed again I'll set its version compatibility limit to the current Zotero release.
  • Hello,
    I have received the same error message, I'm using version 3.0.7, and as I went through this chain I loaded, then disabled the patch plugin to no avail. Now I get the message just by clicking the "set doc prefs" button, earlier I only got that when I selected the style Harvard 3...and I'm stuck with a name, date format that I need to convert back to notes.
    This is my error log number 1932763456
    Thank you for any help you can offer.
  • edited June 28, 2012
    I was not able to reproduce this error when it arose, so we'll need to figure out what in the input is triggering the problem. The error is occurring in the disambiguation code, so it will likely be caused by the combination of two or more items in the document. Finding the minimal set of items that cause the error is what will lead us to the fix.

To narrow down the source of the error, go through the steps here:

http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents

If you have success before reaching step 8, then you are all set; just post back to the thread and let us know you're back in business. (It would be good to know the underlying cause, but this is an extremely rare issue, so we don't need to be too stubborn about tracking it down.)

If you reach step 8, try to identify the smallest combination of citations that cause the error. I'll then ask for a Zotero RDF export of the citations, which should give a hint of what is triggering the error.
  • Sorry for the delayed response. I eventually cut and pasted the document paragraph by paragraph into a new document and was able to change the style again as normal. I never did encounter a specific paragraph or place that triggered the problem again, but I was not able to copy the entire document into a new file.
    Thank you.