TypeError: mm is null (Report ID 49436903)

Hi there,

When I go to insert the bibliography into my document, I get the error message:
TypeError: mm is null

I'm guessing it refers to a month entry in one of my references. I looked through them, and they seem to be okay.

This worked for me about 2 weeks ago. I added a few references since.

If there's anything you can do to help me, I would really appreciate it. My dissertation is due in 2 weeks!

Many thanks,

Kieran.
  • BTW - I'm using Firefox 12.0.
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs
    we'd want an error ID.
    Also, does this happen in a new document or only your dissertation?
  • Hi Adam,

If it's the report ID you want, that's 49436903.

I opened a new document, added a new citation, and it was able to insert the bibliography without any problem.

Many thanks,

Kieran.
  • edited May 13, 2012
    [JavaScript Error: "mm is null" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 10652}]
    What citation style are you using?
  • I'm using the Harvard citation style.
  • which one? There are dozens. Have you tried switching to a different style?
  • Okay - I found the problem.

In a journal article I was citing, the "Pages" field contained "pp. 323-333". If I removed the "pp." the problem disappeared.

Many thanks for all your help.
  • That still shouldn't happen of course - could you tell us which style you're using?

Also, do you happen to remember how you imported that article into Zotero?
  • I should clarify that I had to remove "pp." from the pages field in the journal article's entry in my Zotero library, not where I inserted the citation.
  • I think I manually created that entry in my library.

I'm using Harvard reference format1 (Author-Date).

Hope that helps.
  • @kroughan: Thanks for the report, sorry for the error, and we'll have you going very soon. Please stand by.
  • edited May 13, 2012
    @kroughan: I haven't yet been able to reproduce this fault, and I'm very curious about the cause.

Could you export the item as Zotero RDF (hover over the item in the center panel, left-click, then "Export selected item"), paste the content of the exported file to http://gist.github.com, and post the URL back here?

(Edit: also, which version of Zotero do you have installed? Possibly we're looking at different versions.)
  • A little further info, and a few more questions.

I can trigger the error when "pp." is entered in the field by itself, without any following page numbers, but with numbers it won't fail, and I'm still puzzled over how it could happen.

With "pp. 323-333" in the field, the reference comes out badly formatted in the bibliography, with "pp.pp. 323-333". This is the expected behavior with this style. Is that the result you get as well?

(If this is blocking the finalization of your document, let me know. I can send you a temporary patch plugin that will eliminate the error.)
  • Hi fbennett,

I'm using version 3.0.7.

I believe I had "pp.323-333" (without any space between the "." and the first "3". Give this a try to see if it also fails.

It's not holding me up any longer, once I found the source of the problem.

Many thanks for your help.

Kieran.
  • I've run into this problem as well, with the same citation style as above, Harvard Reference format 1 (Author-Date). When I switch to Chicago Manual of Style (author-date) or Plant Cell, the problem goes away. The citation it is choking on has page numbers correctly formatted (2461-2466). This isn't any real problem for me, I just thought I'd add the info if you were still having trouble reproducing the error.

I logged an error report: D151552662.

I also uploaded the exported citation to Gist:
    git://gist.github.com/2822128.git

I'm using standalone Zotero v3.0.7

Cheers,

Sanjuro