Help - Need style Author (Year) for citation

Hello,

Does anyone know of a style in zotero that places the following: Author (Year) for citation instead of (Author Year).

My field does not put authors in parentheses.
  • I doubt that you're right about that - most author date styles use both
    (Smith 1776) and Smith (1776) depending on the context.
    In Zotero you can get the letter by writing out the author in the word processor and then using supress author to just print the year in parentheses:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#quick_format_citation_dialog
  • Thanks for your suggestion. Still hoping to find a default citation method is author (date).

If anyone knows how to tweak this, please let me know.
  • It's not a suggestion, it's an explanation - this is the way this is designed to work in Zotero.
    It's technically possible to tweak this, but so far, every time someone has asked for it, it took me about 2mins to find a counterexample in a relevant journal - I know economics citations pretty well, so I'm pretty confident the same applies in your case.
    Which journal(s) are you looking at?
  • Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies

The vast majority of my citations are in the author (date) format.

Any additional help would be helpful.

Thanks for your time in responding to my post.
  • Of those JFE and RFS both use typical parenthetical styles as I describe above, where you can have both types of citations - so use suppress author for those.
    JofF does indeed always have the date in parentheses. For that see here:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles
    or here if you want to do it yourself:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • Thanks, I appreciate it. I will give it a try.

I have difficulty typing and having the names all print out would be helpful. It also reduces the potential for typos in the names (many in different languages).

The old EndNote program I used has one feature that would be nice to see in the Zotero program - that is a menu driven style editor that allows that change easily. They also have a panel that allows you to adjust the et.al. specification. For example, I can force it to print the names and then the year in parents, and I can have it use up to a specified number of authors until reverting to et. al..
  • edited May 24, 2012
    I'm still looking for an option/solution to automatically change (author, year) into author (year). In all psychological journals (APA style 6th) both are frequently used. The suppress author option works of course, but it has an important drawback: In case I cite authora, authorb, and authorc (2012) I would have to type the authors' names myself - time consuming but not that serious. But if I want to cite the same material later on in a preceding passage I would have to change both citations because the second converts to authora et al. (2012). And this can be really a pain in large documents.
  • @hplieninger: That's the first I've heard of such a style. Can you point us to a style guide that has this requirement?
  • APA style (6th) is used in ALL psychological journals, for the et al.-rule see for example:

American Psychological Association. (2009). Publication manual of the american psychological association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.

or http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/11/the-proper-use-of-et-al-in-apa-style.html

Looking forward to your help.
  • Ah, I see. I misread and thought you were referring to a suffix on the author name. The requirement is clear. As the other threads on this indicate, there are technical challenges in implementing the maintenance of author names in the main text via Zotero. It will likely happen at some point, but probably not soon.
  • recently i am going to move to zotero and i also use author (year) format in text frequently.
    i came here by searching in google, surprisingly, this issue has been a long time omission.

as hplieninger says, it is really a pain to manually type the author names plus et al.