change the type of tags?

Currently one database I use has me importing many keywords as tags. I want these keywords. Because of how the entry is imported these keywords are made to be user tags, not automatic tags. Is there any way to change a tag from being a user tag to an automatic tag or vice versa?

Would it be possible to have other categories of tags? For instance when I create a report I might want some tags be private and to not show up. Another example is that my "read"/"reading" tags are of a different type of tag than tags that describe content. The icons used for tags seem to suggest that there are categories of tags more than just user and automatic.
  • It's not currently possible to change the tag type through the UI at the moment (other than changing an automatic tag to a manual one through any manual edit), but you're right that it's designed such that there might be other tag categories in the future. And there is indeed an important distinction between personal tags such as "read"/"unread" and tags that describe content and which might benefit from aggregation within a larger community, so there will likely at least be a mechanism for that in the not-too-distant future.
  • Dan (or any 3rd party dev reading here),

It would be a nice idea if/when 'personal' tags come about to be able to change a set of current tags into that type. That way those of us who distinguish tag types by naming convention (unless I'm the only one) will be able to migrate to the new facility.
  • Is it possible to handle different types of tags differently? For example, I would like to be able to see a list of just the user-added tags in the tag selector box, without the many automatic tags that are also showing up.

• I would like to be able to see a list of just the user-added tags in the tag selector box, without the many automatic tags that are also showing up
    You can already do this. The drop-down just to the right of the 'filter' textbox has a 'show automatic' option. I think it's enabled by default, but just untick it and you won't see automatic tags in the selector.
  • @ Dan: And how can you convert an automatic tag to a manual one?
  • @kolorado: Just edit it (even a simple "click-and-enter")
  • Any progress on being able to change "user" tags to automatic tags? (I have same problem as Jronallo above.)
  • nothing new on this, no.