Problem upgrading to version 1.0.4

I'm running Firefox v. 2.0.0.14. It prompted me to upgrade my Zotero from the previously working version 1.0.3. I went ahead but the upgrade doesn't seem to have worked (Zotero is not visible in the browser window). If I look at "Tools" "Add-ons" it lists Zotero 1.0.4 and says it will be installed when Firefox restarts. Unfortunately restarting Firefox makes no difference to this. Any ideas? (Nb. I've also tried downloading directly from zotero.org, with the same outcome). I haven't tried uninstalling because I'm worried about losing my current information.
  • Likely a problem in your Firefox profile. Close Firefox, remove the files compreg.dat, xpti.dat, extensions.cache, extensions.ini and extensions.rdf from your Firefox profile, and restart Firefox.

Also, uninstalling Zotero doesn't actually remove any Zotero data from your Firefox profile, so you can do that safely. But backing up your Zotero data is always a good idea in general.
  • OK that's weird. tried your suggestion and somehow it took me back to v1.0.3. Then I tried uninstalling v1.0.3 - I got the message about it would do it when I next restarted - but it didn't. Then I tried your suggestion again and this time when I restarted I got back to having v1.0.3. I repeated the process of upgrade to v1.0.4 but had exactly the same events, even when retrying your suggestion. I've gone once more round the loop to get back my v1.0.3. OK, so I give up. I'll continue to use v1.0.3 but I'm stuffed when an update becomes essential.
  • This isn't a Zotero issue, so see Mozilla's troubleshooting page for various steps you can take to try to fix it. Just be sure you have a backup copy of your entire Zotero data directory before messing around with profiles.
  • FF keeps reporting a hash error so the plug-in is not downloaded or installed.
  • I just checked again. The invalid hash occurs alsmost half-way through the download.
  • OK Dan, many thanks for your efforts, I'll try the Mozilla route.
  • I just checked again. The invalid hash occurs alsmost half-way through the download.
    Clear your browser cache, and if that doesn't work try the other steps on the Mozilla troubleshooting page. This isn't a Zotero issue.
  • An alternative is to download the extension (right click, save as, xpi file) from the home page. Click on it which should bring up the add-ons dialogue (or open the xpi file through the toolbar menu). The file installs correctly and will be available the next time Firefox launches.