Problem with foreign language citation

The new update to Zotero (3.0) has been quite unfortunate in many ways. Rather than following the capitalization in the entries in my Zotero library, it now cites as if every entry were an English work, capitalizing all letters. In German, for instance, only nouns should be capitalized, but the new update capitalizes every word. In order to correct this, I will need to remove the field codes and correct it myself. Is there any way to correct this update to ensure that the citation corresponds to the formatting in my library rather than capitalizing as if each entry were in English?
Thank you!
  • Enter the language of the citation in the Language field. For example, if the language of the target entry is Swedish, enter "se" in the field.

Alternatively, you can disable capitalization in the style. That has the downside that you will need to re-edit titles of English entries when switching between styles, depending on whether the target style performs capitalization or not.
  • Thanks for posting this; it's exactly the problem I logged on to find out about.

If I go back and do one of these options now, in the middle of redoing all my book citations, will all the foreign language titles automatically re-capitalize themselves properly when I hit refresh?

Thanks!
  • (or do I have to start from scratch and redo each footnote?)
  • edited May 18, 2012
    If you add a language code in the Language field, it should take effect in existing footnotes when you click refresh.
  • OK, thanks. That's faster than the footnotes. I hope you're right! Sometimes when I hit refresh after I've changed something in my library, nothing happens. I have to edit the note and then the updates appear.

Where do I see the codes? Or can you just confirm that IT is Italian and FR is French?
  • edited May 18, 2012
    It shouldn't make a difference, but lowercase (it) is good for Italian, (fr) is good for French. In fact, any two-character string other than "en" should do the trick, but there may be benefits to telling the truth going forward, as more language-sensitive systems and features emerge. (Just enter the characters in the Language field by typing; there isn't a pull-down list or anything yet.)

If you find that some entries get stuck, you can try switching away to another style and then back. That will regenerate all of the citations (except for those that have been hand-edited and so suspended in their existing form).
  • Thanks. I've hand-edited almost all the footnotes so far (I've done maybe 150 out of maybe 600), so I will just try to get it right the first time!
  • Good luck, hope it goes smoothly. Give a shout if you run into difficulties.
  • Uh-oh. Here I am, shouting. I went through my zotero library about an hour ago and put in a code for all the Italian books. But now hen I insert them as in-text citations, they all STILL capitalize.

This is exactly the reason I left EndNote for Zotero 4 years ago. It is also the reason I am redoing every gd footnote in this book by hand, since I didn't always insert them properly before.
  • Let me add that pretty much all my footnotes are going to be hand-edited, many extensively.
  • Actually, hang on, it kind of seems to be working now. Sorry to panic - book is due very soon and the footnotes are just about the last thing.
  • No worries, we're on your side here. Be sure to set aside interim copies of the manuscript somewhere as you go along; that will give you the security of quick recovery in case things get into a twist.
  • Hello, it's not working again. I made sure the right language code was in the library entry, and I have tried editing the footnote, deleting and reinserting it, and hitting refresh. It still capitalized automatically.
    Then I tried switching styles, as you recommended, but a) I'd like to be able to switch styles one note at a time for these purposes, and b) when I tried to switch back I got an error message and then Word crashed.

How do I disable capitalization in the style? And do you have other tips for me?
    Thanks.
  • OK, more weirdness. It only does it with one entry (a book I cite a lot, as it happens). I tried deleting and recreating the entry, and I've tried citing it in a new document. Thoughts? The language code is definitely in there.
  • No, I'm wrong, some titles capitalize, some don't, all in the same foreign language with the same code.
  • OK, and also, the first book I mentioned (the one I cite a lot), every time I cite it the whole title appears; zotero doesn't recognize that it's not a first citation in the document.
  • Okay, these sound like small teething troubles. I'll send you a message via zotero.org, which should come through in your mail. Send back your mail address and I'll help sort through the details. I can supply you with a copy of the style that does not apply text-case, if that will help.

Pending that, let us know what style you are using (it will help me work through the possible causes of the symptoms you describe); and it sounds like the document did come up okay in your target style after the Word crash, but please confirm that.
  • No, it's not ok after the word crash. Looking forward to your msg.
  • edited May 21, 2012
    Mail sent. Which style are you using? (Specifically, is it MHRA or MLA?)
  • Chicago Manual of Style, full note. Mail not here yet.
  • Click on the "Inbox" link on zotero.org, it should be there. If not, I'll just post the address here.
  • oh right. sorry. done.
  • If titles are capitalizing automatically with Chicago Fullnote with Bibliography, you must have an older version of the style installed; the current version in the Zotero repository does not apply "title case" to titles. To update the style, visit the repository, search for "Chicago" and click on the [install] link next to the "Chicago Manual of Style (full note)" listing.
  • Frank: When and why was that taken out? CMoS should be using title case.
  • I don't know. Could it have dropped out during the refactoring?
  • Right. The delimiter-only versions were swapped in, and didn't have the text-case="title" attributes installed. We'll put that back.
  • OK, in any case the version of Chicago I have been using does capitalize. Until I put in the language codes, it capitalized all my Italian and French titles wrongly. This leads me to a new problem. I am going back over all the (few-hundred) wrongly capitalized notes now to fix them. Many of them have been hand-modified or edited. Some have not. On those that have been, I am fixing them by hand. On those that have not been edited, I should be able to use the "edit citation" function and fix just that one footnote. But sometimes when I do this, zotero starts to run through the entire document, redoing every footnote, rather than just fixing the one I am on.
  • I put back the title case capitalization for "Chicago Manual of Style (full note, no Ibid.)" and "Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography)":

https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/44326546ac59280db1fe59adbcee0897549d6f34
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/a9db1d871c876bb12fd48e9094144c1b68d2e3f0