Zotero wont capture certain pages

I use it to capture tutorials, which i find disappear after a while, so storing them means the world to me.
However, certain sites it just wont capture.
It just says capturing, and it never stops, it just hangs.
Here are a couple of examples:
http://css-tricks.com/examples/StarryNightCSS3/
http://www.cssportal.com/css3-preview/showing-and-hiding-content-with-pure-css3.htm
http://www.marcofolio.net/css/3d_animation_using_pure_css3.html
http://www.subcide.com/experiments/fail-whale/
  • I can copy all the URL in Zotero

Linux Fedora/Firefox 11/FF addon Zotero 3.0.3.
  • I'm using the stand alone version with Chrome. Is that why it's not working?
  • You issue looks similar to that one http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/22603/not-allowing-snapshots-from-webpages-report-id1770753624/#Item_0
  • Ok, i dont understand what that has to do with the issue, or how to resolve it.
    Currently half of the URL's i'm trying to save dont work.
    Please tell me how to fix this, or admit this is an issue and that it's being worked on?
  • tenekija: Take it easy. nomnex is just another user who was trying to help you.

Those pages save fine for me with Standalone and Chrome.

Make sure you have the latest version of Zotero. If the problem still occurs, explain exactly how you're trying to save those pages and what's happening, and provide Report IDs from both Chrome and Standalone.
  • Right, apology for the outburts, i was getting more frustrated at the thought that i will have to revert to firefox if i dont find a fix.

What i'm trying to do is save this page:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57429288-233/amtrak-to-use-apples-iphone-as-ticket-scanner/

And i right click the page, select Save Zotero snapshot from current page, and on the right corner i get Saving item (and title of page).
    And it just hangs there... Forever...

Chrome is 18.0.1025.168 m latest version, and Zotero updated to the latest version yesterday.

Anyhow, report from the plugin:
    [JavaScript Error: "Missing property "translatorID" in translator metadata JSON object in undefined" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero/translator.js" line: 403}]

[JavaScript Error: "undefined is not a function" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero.js" line: 91}]
  • tenekija, I am a user. Dan Stillman, or adamsmith might help you better.

I could saved all the links above as new items in ZSA (stand-alone) 3.0.7 linux [1], today, on Firefox, except one URL:

http://www.cssportal.com/css3-preview/showing-and-hiding-content-with-pure-css3.htm

I right-click on the page, create new item from the current page, but nothing happens.

If I recall correctly the documentation, Zotero don't save automatically all the type of web-pages. Some pages need to be save manually.

Now, if half of the URL's don't work on your end, you probably experience a connector, or setting problem. If you don't get an answer here, there is an error report on the help menu.

[1] Do you use the same version number?
  • I tried disabling the default translator in chrome, didnt work...
    The 91 line error is related to this:
    if(this.isChrome) {
    info.appName = "Chrome";
    } else if(this.isSafari) {
    info.appName = "Safari";
    } else if(this.isIE) {
    info.appName = "Internet Explorer";
    } else {
    info.appName = window.navigator.appName;
    }

var str = '';
    for (var key in info) {
    str += key + ' => ' + info[key] + ', ';
    }
    str = str.substr(0, str.length - 2);
    callback(str);

Specifically the callback line?
  • @adamsmith what do you mean saved manually? Manually in Zotero, or just save the page using the Chrome Save As function?
  • @adamsmith unfortunately, all of the pages listed dont save under chrome, which is what makes it frustrating...
  • I'm thinking this is a bug...
  • @tenekija: Dan is lead developer for the project, and you'll get to an answer soon if you respond to his query. He has asked you to submit Report IDs from Chrome and from Standalone (following the instructions under the link), so that would be the place to start.

I'm not sure what you mean by "disabling the default translator in Chrome", but you shouldn't modify the program code yourself; that will just make it harder for the developers to identify the source of the problem. Be sure to generate the Report ID with a clean install of the software.
  • Ok, reported errors from Standalone: Report ID: 105191311

The errors from Chrome:
    [JavaScript Error: "Missing property "translatorID" in translator metadata JSON object in undefined" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero/translator.js" line: 403}]

[JavaScript Error: "undefined is not a function" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero.js" line: 91}]

[JavaScript Error: "Object [object Object] has no method 'getErrors'" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero/debug.js" line: 155}]

[JavaScript Error: "Object [object Object] has no method 'getErrors'" {file: "chrome-extension://jciblakmllnhbhjjgkbkeihelcndmgnh/zotero/debug.js" line: 155}]

[JavaScript Error: "Attempting to use a disconnected port object" {file: "extensions/miscellaneous_bindings.js" line: 187}]

[JavaScript Error: "Attempting to use a disconnected port object" {file: "extensions/miscellaneous_bindings.js" line: 187}]

• I'll be doing a clean install during the course of the day.
  • ""Missing property "translatorID" in translator metadata JSON object in undefined"

Dan will be able to say more, but that message looks odd. I would try resetting translators from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences, restarting your browser and trying again.
  • Yup, that had me baffled so i disabled the default translator plugin for Chrome, but that didnt do anything.
    Havent tried your approach, will test that...
  • also, make sure you try this with all other Chrome extensions disabled. Extensions may well interfere with snapshots.
  • I've reset translators both in Chrome and Zotero standalone, still cant save the pages...
  • Nope, disabled all but Zotero, same story...
  • Ok, disabled all but one, restarted Chrome and Zotero.
    All but one saved, this one still wont save: http://www.cssportal.com/css3-preview/showing-and-hiding-content-with-pure-css3.htm

I guess that's progress?

Any updates on the errors reported?
  • Simon will have to comment on the errors. Saving from that page hangs for me too.