Email notifications

All the email notifications that I get about forum posts have 7 <br /> for each <br /> in the actual post. This is rather annoying.
Here's an example of one:
Thanks! That works great so far. The book chapters do seem to be #4 = NOT EMPTY.
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
I am still checking, but I think this may have solved the larger part of my problems. :)

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/22615/4/procite-to-zotero-conversion-translator-ris-and-testing/
  • (same for me, annoying indeed)
  • When this is fixed, please tell us what caused this behavior. I've been more puzzled than annoyed by this. What could be making the line break tag the only tag that gets repeated; and why always the why is it seven times?
  • Any news on this?

Also, would it be possible to get a more explicit Subject? At the moment, it's always "Zotero Forums Notification‏". You've to open each email in order to know what it's about. Maybe, we can have "Zotero Forums Notification‏ - SubjectOfTheTopic"?
  • edited April 25, 2013
    @fcheslack I'm trying to debug this with a local Vanilla 1.1.5a installation and Notifi 2.0.4 plugin. Using that configuration I'm not getting any line breaks at all.

Is Zotero running a different version of Notifi or have there been custom changes made to add line breaks? Could you maybe post the Notifi extension that Zotero uses if you don't feel like debugging this?

Edit: also using Html Formatter 2.6
  • I'll know for sure after a few more notifications, but I believe this is now fixed.

Notifi was calling nl2br() on the post content, but it was doing so in the loop of notified users in which the content variable was never reassigned, so people later in the loop were getting successively more line breaks. (This also means you wouldn't have seen it testing in your own installation, but thanks for looking into this.)
  • Re Gracile's suggestion:
    --- default.php(revision 1103)
    +++ default.php(working copy)
    @@ -357,7 +357,7 @@
    $e->Clear();
    $e->AddFrom($DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['SUPPORT_EMAIL'], $DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['SUPPORT_NAME']);
    $e->AddRecipient($val[1], $NotifiName);
    - $e->Subject = $DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['APPLICATION_TITLE'].' '.$DiscussionForm->Context->GetDefinition('Notification');
    + $e->Subject = $DiscussionForm->Context->Configuration['APPLICATION_TITLE'].' '.$DiscussionForm->Context->GetDefinition('Notification') . ' – ' . $discussionName;

// Save the ID of the user to be emailed
    $currentUserId = $val[0];
  • I'll know for sure after a few more notifications, but I believe this is now fixed.
    oh, thanks!!

@Dan: what about aurimas' post just above? That seems a minor change in the code, and a big improvement!
  • yay! Thanks.
  • A big thanks too (a bit late though) ! (And still don't know why outlook.com is not able to display correctly the en-dash... but it's their own bug.)