Drag and drop stoped working after upgrade firefox to 10.1

Was using Zotero with no problem with firefox 3.0. After upgrade to Firefox 10, can no longer drag and drop and link into Zotero. Drag and drop still works between existing folders within Zotero, and between Windows and Zotero. Other functions seem to still work. It is Window 7, and Zoreto 3.0. Please help. Thanks.
  • can no longer drag and drop and link into Zotero
    What do you mean by that, exactly?

http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_steps_to_reproduce
  • Previously I can drag the link of an PDF into Zotero and the PDF will be in Zotero lib. With firefox 10, I can still drag but the ref will not appear in Zotero lib. I reverted to Fifox 3.6, it is working now again. Thanks.
  • This works for me with Windows 7 and Firefox 10.

There's a decent chance it won't tell anything, but can you provide a Debug ID for a drag attempt in Firefox 10?
  • Also, can you provide an example URL from which you're trying to drag a PDF?
  • neither firefox nor zotero complain at all so I am not sure where I can find the debug id. the following link was the last one i tried but not the only one

http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v5/n2/pdf/nnano.2009.451.pdf
  • Follow my link.
  • the specific PDF is not the issue - works for me.
  • edited April 27, 2012
    Trying to drag n drop a pdf from e.g. my download folder into zotero doesn't work anymore.

Nothing happens.

OS X 10.7.3 FF 12.0 Zot 3.0.3

DEbug ID D142880867
  • duncdrum: Provide a Debug ID for a drag attempt, as I ask for above.
  • edited April 27, 2012
    edit in original post, just to calrify i have tried this with countless files within subfolders, main library .... without success. Manually adding a local copy works fine though.

Thanks for looking into it Dan. Zotero just rocks :)
  • That doesn't show any Zotero errors or activity. If that actually covers the drag attempt, is the target item becoming highlighted when you drag the file over it?

Also try with your other extensions disabled. They're probably not relevant, but there are a bunch of errors in there from other extensions.
  • Also, you're trying to drag from the actual folder in the Finder, right? Not, say, the downloads list in another browser?
  • Nope the target item isn't highlighted no matter how long I hover over it. I m dragging from a folder, also tried from desktop, or resizing or alt tabbing nothing works. Release just means the item swooshes back into its old position. I disabled all extensions and tired this with a new folder still no drag'n'drop.
  • so after reading another forum, i removed TORbutton, and drag n drop is working again. Disabling and restarting didn't do the trick, TORbutton had to be removed completely. Thanks for the help.
  • I've added TORbutton to the list of known incompatibilities:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/known_issues?&#zotero_for_firefox
  • Finally have to come back to this problem as Firefox 3.6 is going out.
    The ID is D194257326

Thanks.
  • edited January 30, 2013
    yuelinli: You're using outdated versions of Zotero and Firefox (3.0.8 and 17.0.1). You should upgrade to the latest versions of each. If you're still having trouble after that, provide another Debug ID for the problem with all other extensions disabled.
  • Update firefox to 18.01, zotero to 3.0.11, still have the same issue.

ID D759217201.
  • So just to be clear, you're trying to drag a link from a webpage into the Zotero pane, correct? Is this with any link on any website? What in Zotero are you dragging onto, exactly?
  • Yes, I was trying to drag a PDF file into zotero. I can drag, but it won't drop - as soon as I release the mouse, it disappears. It happens to all the PDF file I view in firefox, not specific to any link. But I can drag and drop a PDF from my desktop or a local fold directly. If I open the local file using firefox and drag from the firefox address, then it won't work.

In comparison, I can do it with firefox 3.6 with not problem, on this same computer.
  • Tends out I cannot drag and drop a web page either. I have all extensions and plug-ins disabled.
  • What in Zotero are you dragging onto, exactly?
  • edited January 31, 2013
    to the left side of the zotero window or to the folds on the left side.
  • No, what are you trying to drop the links onto within Zotero? A collection, an item, the items list but not on an item...?
  • i see, any open space in zotero, a collection, the whole right side window, etc.
  • i mean the middle window.
  • edited January 31, 2013
    OK, but the right-hand pane is never supposed to do anything. Dragging a link directly onto a collection should work, though, as long as you have write access to the library (e.g., your personal library). Does the collection row become highlighted when you drag over it?
  • I would recommend trying this in a new Firefox profile. You can install Zotero into that and try dragging a link into the empty library.
  • if drag from outside firefox, yes, the collection become highlighted. not when i do it within firefox.
  • tried with a new profile, no luck. behaves the same.