Firefox 3 compatibility

Hello,

I've had to make a choice between continuing to use Zotero or remain with Firefox 2. Firefox 3 won (performance issues). But I now am unable to use Zotero. Would really like to see a Zotero version working on FF3 soon :)

Thanks
  • edited April 19, 2008
    The 1.0 development XPI is compatible with Firefox 3. You'll want to use a nightly trunk build of Firefox until RC1 comes out due to a recently fixed Mozilla bug that affected item editing in Zotero.
  • Another option is to keep your existing Firefox 2 profile on portable Firefox (on jump drive or disk image). Depending on how large your collection is, you might need quite a bit of space. Whenever you need to do some citing, just quit Firefox 3 and open portable.
  • Hi..

i just installed ubuntu 8.04 with firefox 3.0b5
    installing zotero didnt work but what i did:

dowload the zotero.xpi (right click -> save as)
    unzip it
    open install.rdf with texteditor
    edit line maxVersion to a higher number.. e.g. 4
    save changes
    zip the whole thing again
    rename it to: .xpi
    open it with firefox.
    works so far
  • edited April 25, 2008
    Running an edited version of the existing Zotero XPI on Firefox 3 is strongly discouraged. Compatibility with Firefox 3 requires fundamental changes to Zotero's core code which are reflected only in our current dev branch, not in Zotero 1.0.3. Our next public release, Zotero 1.0.4, contains these changes and is compatible with Firefox 3, and it will ship in the very near future, well before Firefox 3 comes out of beta.
  • i guess youre right.. i tried
    http://www.zotero.org/download/dev/zotero-1.0-branch.xpi
    and it works as well
    thx,
    - pan -
  • edited April 25, 2008
    I've just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 with Firefox 3.0. I need Zotero, and I need it now!! What shall I do?

---followed the advice from peter pan - it worked (Puh!) Thank you!---
  • Once I have installed the development branch, how will I upgrade to 1.0.4 once it is released without loosing my data?
  • edited May 2, 2008
    Once I have installed the development branch, how will I upgrade to 1.0.4 once it is released without loosing my data?
    When it comes out, you'll be able to just install 1.0.4 from zotero.org over the dev branch version.
  • I'm another who's moved to FF3 early and used Zotero under FF2. Looking forward to its compatibility w/ FF3.
  • edited May 5, 2008
    I'm using FF3b5 with the Zotero branch build, but I don't see any Zotero icon in the address bar on pages with bibliographic information, like I used to. What am I missing here?

Edit: never mind, I was looking at a different version of the page, thanks to the library's silly website system
  • If you are using FF3, do the OO plugins still work? I have not been able to get OO 2.4 to communicate with FF3.
  • There seems to be a problem with the current zotero-1.0-branch.xpi and the Split Browser (0.4.2008050601) extension in FF3.0b5. When the Split Browser extension is enabled the Zotero pane refuses to appear on click, shortcut or menu entry. Disable Split Browser and Zotero appears again.

Hope this was the right place to let you know and thanks a lot for this great extension.
  • There seems to be a problem with the current zotero-1.0-branch.xpi and the Split Browser (0.4.2008050601) extension in FF3.0b5
    I can reproduce this as well, but you'd have to talk to the author of Split Browser about it. SB appears to be removing Zotero (and other prominent parts of the Firefox chrome to which Zotero is affixed) from the UI structure. The behavior appears to be different on Firefox 2, though it's possible it's just a fluke of the order in which the extensions are being loaded.
  • If you are using FF3, do the OO plugins still work? I have not been able to get OO 2.4 to communicate with FF3.
    Yes, the plugins should work fine with Firefox 3. It's possible there's a problem with OO 2.4, though.

You can view Zotero's debug output to see if it's starting the integration server (which it'll say about 15-20 lines in when you start Firefox) and if it's receiving any requests from the plugin.
  • "I can reproduce this as well, but you'd have to talk to the author of Split Browser about it."
    Ok, wrote an email. I`ll let you know when there are news on this topic.
  • edited May 6, 2008
    Hi,

I'm using ubuntu 8.04, with firefox 3.0b5

I've tried both the current svn (revision 2646 2652 - corrected) and also the snapshot of about 30 minutes ago, and after install and restart I get a popup with the text:

Error Initializing Zotero Database
    trying Ctrl-Alt-z afterwards I get:

There was an error starting Zotero
    This repeats if I restart firefox afterwards.

Any help is appreciated,

Alon
  • edited May 6, 2008
    UPDATE: the problem is in scrapers.sql.
    It seems to be in the line that starts with:

REPLACE INTO translators VALUES ('9cb70025-a888-4a29-a210-93ec52da40d4', '1.0.0b4.r1', '', '2008-05-05 14:30:00', '1', '200', '3', 'BibTeX', 'Simon Kornblith', 'bib',
    'Zotero.configure("dataMode", "block");
    Zotero.addOption("UTF8", true);

I've put the code that found the bug (for anyone who wants to check) here:
    http://www.pastebin.biz/messages/show/id/653/title/updated_Zotero_scrapers_sql_debugging
  • edited May 6, 2008
    I get the same error when I try to install Zotero dev xpi r2652 in a new Firefox 3 profile.
  • edited May 6, 2008
    ok, problem found and solved: you need to replace a 'note' with a "note" (i.e. change the single ticks to quotation marks).

basically, open the scrapers.sql file, find '9cb70025-a888-4a29-a210-93ec52da40d4', then find (after that!) 'note' (with the ticks), and replace it with "note"(only one occurrence to fix).

At least then the file passes parsing, still need to check that it actually works now (and I can finally test zotero..)

update: it works!

Alon
  • This is fixed in r2653. Thanks.
  • I was using r2652 with FF3b5 and all was going well. I've just upgraded to r2654 and Zotero doesn't start anymore.

I can see it among my firefox addons, I can set preferences, but I've no zotero icons and ctrl+alt+Z doesn't do anything.
    Any ideas?
  • I encountered the same problem. I uninstalled Zotero and installed the r2647 and it worked again.
  • edited May 7, 2008
    Updated to r2656, but still no luck.

Where can I find an older version?
  • Could just be some corrupted files in your Firefox profile that don't have anything to do with Zotero. Close Firefox, remove the files compreg.dat, xpti.dat, extensions.cache, extensions.ini and extensions.rdf from your Firefox profile, and restart Firefox.
  • Problem solved. That solution didn't work, however with the latest upgrade (r2663), zotero is up again.

Thank you for your help (and for the great piece of software, of course).
  • Rolling with 1.5a1.r2650 and I love it. However, when it wants to update itself, I get the following message:

Authentication Required
    A username and password are being requested by
    http://zotero.org. The site says: "Zotero Dev"

username:
    password:

Oh, what's to be done?
    Thanks in advance.
  • edited May 19, 2008
    Rolling with 1.5a1.r2650 and I love it. However, when it wants to update itself, I get the following message...
    Unfortunately, this is a trunk build of Zotero, and a problematic one that is both past a database upgrade (which you would've had to agree to) that makes it incompatible with the 1.0 branch and also not in a state that will be forward-compatible with future 1.5 releases. We temporarily closed off public access to the trunk XPI a few days ago, which is why you're getting that message, but there was a brief period after the DB upgrade commit during which the XPI was still accessible for upgrades.

This sort of thing is, I'm afraid, why we've cautioned against using the trunk quite a few times in these forums as well as on the SVN and Trac Access page itself. (The other warnings on that page apply to the 1.0 branch dev XPI as well, but we're not making any more database upgrades or major changes on the 1.0 branch, so it's fairly safe to use at this point.)

While this is well into "Unsupported" territory, here's your best bet:

1) Close Firefox and make a copy of your entire Zotero data directory.

2) Export to Zotero RDF any items added or edited since the database upgrade. A saved search might help here.

3) Install the 1.0 branch dev XPI Zotero 1.0.4.

4) Close Firefox, go into your Zotero data directory, and find the highest-numbered backup file (most likely zotero.sqlite.36.bak), which was made right before the DB upgrade. Replace zotero.sqlite with that file.

5) Open Firefox and import the RDF file into the Zotero 1.0 build. Links to any of those items in Word/OO document will break, but otherwise you should be fine.
  • I am currently using ff 2 on a few computers and ff3b on a few computers. Those with ff2 have Zotero and use the same db file on a network share. I am not currently, but want to use Zotero also in ff3b.

My question is: if I use the dev branch for ff3b, and version 1.0.3 for ff2, will there be any problem with using the same (network shared) db file with the different ff versions? Should I switch to the dev branch for both ff2 and ff3b? Should I avoid mixing the versions altogether? Please advise.
  • I would recommend using the same version on both machines. Zotero 1.0.4, which includes Firefox 3 compatibility, will be available soon.
  • Thanks sean for the information.

I will be looking forward to 1.0.4.

Of course, I have to ask ... How soon is 'soon' expected to be? :)
This discussion has been closed.