address bar (and zotero icons) disappear in new window

ok, this is a very basic, probably quite idiotic question. But nevertheless, here it goes...

when I use the ejournals list from my institution and click on a link, the journal pops up in a new window. this new window doesn't display the URL-- the little address window is gone. Neither, therefore, does it display the zotero icons for articles, books, etc. Is there a way make firefox display the URL window? or, alternatively, is there a way to capture the article with zotero without clicking on the little icon in the bar?

thanks
  • this new window doesn't display the URL-- the little address window is gone. Neither, therefore, does it display the zotero icons for articles, books, etc. Is there a way make firefox display the URL window?
    Try View->Toolbars->Navigation Toolbar.
    or, alternatively, is there a way to capture the article with zotero without clicking on the little icon in the bar?
    Not yet, though there are plans for a keyboard shortcut for this.
  • A similar thing happens when accessing articles from databases on my library website, except it's not that the Navigation Toolbar disappears, just the address box that would display the URL and the add to Zotero icon. I can still see Back, Forward, Refresh buttons, and the search box, etc. I just can't see the address box. I also can't resize the window. The only workaround I've discovered is to use the "Page Info" command to find the URL for that pop-up window and then try copying and pasting that URL into a new window. It works most of the time, but not all and it's an irritating inconvenince. It doesn't happen with all databases. JSTOR, for example, seems to work fine. It does happen with several of the major ones, though: EBSCO, Info Trac, etc.)

A keyboard shortcut for the icon command in the address bar would solve all of this, please keep working on it!
  • You can go to about:config in the URL bar and set dom.disable_window_open_feature.location to true to prevent sites from opening new windows without the URL bar.
  • edited April 29, 2012
    I am finding that my address bar input field is disappearing occasionally. I am not using the navigation bar, because I move my address input field to the menu bar, because otherwise there is a not of unused screen real estate to the right of the menus. I have no reason to suspect that this is zotero related other than the fact that it is only zotero that has an impact on the address input field.

A keyboard shortcut to click that non-existent icon, would be very nice.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/850027