URL in references: wordpocessor style -- advice

Importing References in LibreOffice document, using the Zotero plug-in

This is not a technical question. I have a formatting question, when citing web articles:

I would like to know if the URL in the citations should be recognized as a clickable URL in my document (or PDF export), or not -- what's the best practice, if any?

Thank you
  • Currently Zotero can't format it as clickable, so what the best practice is doesn't matter ;-).

Generally, for documents online you want it clickable, for documents that are printed you don't.
  • Generally, for documents online you want it clickable, for documents that are printed you don't.
    Great, that's just common sens. I was wondering if some styles i.e. APA, Chicago, and so one (and which I do not know well) required to format the URL as simple text.

Do you know a URL where I can browse/download academic papers of all sort? Or a repository where people share their work, essays, thesis, etc.
  • that's subject dependent. There is e.g. SSRN for social scientists an arXiv for physicists and mathematicians - for searching and downloading there is of course always google scholar.
  • I am browsing http://arxiv.org/
    Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative Biology, Quantitative Finance and Statistics

Is there a similar website for literature, history, linguistic, social science?
  • thank you, I will take a look at SSRN.
  • Old discussion but my two cents:

You can make everything a clickable hyperlink.

Libre/OpenOffice use a character style for hyperlinks called "Internet Link". So in case you have to make a hyperlink look like plain text you just edit the character style to remove the underline and color.

This gives you the most flexibility: Hyperlinks if needed. No hyperlinks if not needed.