PDF: What does Indexed do (& and sync question)

A. What does PDF indexed do/mean? I only see indexed on PDF files in the library (so far)

B. It it correct that sync my library with the remote server (cloud) does not copy the PDF, Images, etc.?

From the doc: "Data syncing syncs library items, but doesn't sync attached files (PDFs, audio and video files, images, etc.).
  • A) It makes builds a database that Zotero can search. If you index the PDFs, terms on the first few pages are used by the search box. If you don't, then search uses only the metadata that you have entered or imported.

B) Depends on whether you have enabled file syncing or not
  • edited April 26, 2012
    A. Thank you.

B. Yes, syncing is enabled. I can see my PDF documents in my library on the Zotero remote server.

So, it's probably a translation problem, but this sentence is confusing for me: "Data syncing syncs library items, but doesn't sync attached files (PDFs, audio and video files, images, etc.). "

Could explain it to me?

Does it mean that anything I download (e.g. Web page, PDF, article, etc. and any notes I create) are sync, but if I import a document in Zotero using "Store copy of file", then it is not sync?

I know that "Link to file" is not sync.
  • edited April 26, 2012
    It means that the metadata for an item - i.e. what you see in the right hand pane - title, author(s) etc. as well as notes - syncs, but not any attached files (websites, pdfs etc.), regardless of whether you download them or save them via "store copy".

This can be very useful because you still have all the info you need to cite an item.

Edit: You _can_ get those attached files - all of them - synced using file syncing as explained on that same page of the documentation.
  • thank you adamsmith