error message in word on a mac

Hello--I need your help again. I am getting this message:

You have modified this citation since zotero generated it. do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates? Clicking yes will prevent zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles, or modify the reference to which it refers. Clicking no will erase your changes.

I get this, I think, when I am trying to add or edit a citation. I am not sure what brings it on. this message will repeat with every citation in my paper until it gets to the end of the paper, then it deletes my bibliography. I have quit the document and not saved changes, and the bibliography comes back, but I have not had a chance to take full account of what it does to my citations.

This time, and a few other times, I also get this message:

Zotero experienced an error updating you document. [Exception..."the operation couldn't be completed (OSSStatus Error-1712.)@[dislplayalert:/users/simon/desktop/development/fs/zotero-word-for-mac-integration/build/src/document.in 176]"when calling method: [zoterointegrationdocument::displayalert]"nsresult 0x8057oole(NSERROR_XPC_IS_THREW_STRING)"location: "JSframe::chron:??zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js::<TOP_LEVEL>::line 1503 data: no]

I tried to get it right, but not sure I could read what I wrote! I have had this happen 4 or 5 times. I have recently updated everything, I believe. Is this familiar to you?
Thank you!
Nicole
  • We would need Simon for this one - I don't think this exactly has come up before.
    Did you edit any citation in Word? - such as change the parentheses, punctuation etc.?
  • edited April 2, 2012
    If you quit Word while Zotero is trying to show a dialog box, you'll get that error.

If you're sure you haven't changed the citations that are highlighted, would you mind sending a document that reproduces the issue to support@zotero.org?
  • edited April 22, 2012
    I was bitten by this message also. After some detective work it seems to me that a non-breaking space that I had inserted between two citations (using a modified IEEE style) to prevent a line-break had somehow "spilled over" to the second citation. Part of the problem was that if I answered "yes", I couldn't add the citation I wanted to, and clicking "no" put my document in a state where none of the Zotero toolbar buttons worked. Furthermore, some of the citations seemed to be off by one (remember I'm using a numbering style). When I tried to undo things, I found out that only some of the citation changes were undoable. This gave me an idea to increase the number of changes that are undoable (Preferences -> LibreOffice -> Memory) from the default of 100 to 400.

So, increasing the number of changes that are undoable, restarting LibreOffice and TenFourFox (a Firefox clone) and opening a backup copy (that had not been bitten by the message) saved my day.

Hope this helps,

Metsis
    ----
    LibreOffice 3.4.5
    TenFourFox 10.0.3 (corresponds to Firefox 10)
    Mac 10.4.11 PPC
  • I'm getting exactly the same message when I open a document with existing Zotero citations -- Word 2004 for Mac, Zotero 3.0.3 standalone or Firefox plugin -- and try to insert a citation, but only when I want to insert a citation in a footnote. Inserting into the main text works fine.

Already tried in vain: reinstalling the plugin/closing word and restarting.
  • Fulano21: Provide a report ID after re-triggering the error.
  • Sorry.

Report ID:36779789

Here's what I get when trying to insert a citation into a footnote:

Zotero experienced an error updating your
    document.

[Exeption... "'The operation couldn't be completed.
    (OSStatus error - 1708.) @[setCode:/Users/simon/
    Desktop/Development/FS/zotero-word-for-mac-
    integration/build/src/field.m:532]' when calling
    method: [zoterolntegrationField::setCode]" nsresult:
    "Ox8O57001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)"
    xpcom/integration.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> ::line 1661"
    data: no]
  • I have exactly the same error when tying to insert a citation in a footnote: firefox 11, word 2004
  • Fulano21: That report ID was created with Zotero Standalone. I would bet that you got this error message with Zotero Standalone closed. Can you generate a report ID from Firefox? Also, does this happen in a new document using the same style and do you get this error with Zotero Standalone open at all?

Chaffeec: Provide a report ID after re-triggering the error. You are the third person in this thread to be experiencing the same error, and so far all of these errors have been different.
  • Report ID: 1607198230

Yes, exactly the same error with Firefox 11 only. Also when Zotero Standalone is open (which it was anyway when I got the error the first time). Also with a new document using the same style.
  • Fulano21: Try installing the MacWord Integration Trunk XPI and see if that fixes things. If it does, you'll want to manually install the next version of Zotero Word for Mac Integration when it is released.
  • That did the trick. Thanks so much! I'll keep my eyes open for the next Word for Mac integration version then.
  • Sorry I did not post my report ID, but this also just worked for me. I appreciate the help!
This discussion has been closed.