Storage exceeded - can I carry on?

I've gone far over my free 100MB storage quota. I know this because, when I sync, the progress bar hardly gets 1/10 of the way before the error message appears and reveals which PDF has not been synced.

The thing I don't quite understand is that all of my PDFS are still in place and accessible. I've read in other threads that the references will continue to save, despite reaching the limit, but I thought the same would not be true of attachments. In fact, it seems that I can still continue to add references, attach snapshots and view them through Zotero. My first question, then, is what exactly am I restricted from doing once the limit is reached?

I'll inevitably need to buy more space soon, but in the meantime, can I continue to add to my library under the assumption that everything is still being saved, and will sync once the space is freed?

THANK YOU!!
  • edited April 13, 2012
    can I continue to add to my library under the assumption that everything is still being saved, and will sync once the space is freed?
    Yes. Zotero saves all data to your own computer. The storage quota is only for files that you sync to the Zotero servers.

Your library data will continue to sync regardless, since that has no limit. But if you try to access the PDF files on another synced computer or on zotero.org, you'll find that they're inaccessible.
  • You can also disable file syncing in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences in the meantime to avoid the warning—just remember that your files aren't being synced.
  • Okay, makes sense. I only use the one computer for the time being, but more and more, I'll be sharing Group Libraries. Syncing, I imagine, will only really become important at that time.