history navigation arrows

Dear people of Zotero,

I'm sure this has already been considered, but I cannot find it anywhere, the possibility of adding a pair of history exploration arrows, the type that most browsers have, in order to be able to go back to a previous search, or a previously opened folder/collection (take finder in apple computers as an example). If I haven't overseen this function, this would make cataloguing and organizing the library much easier.

I avail of the opportunity to thank you all for the great work

Nacho
  • edited May 25, 2012
    Dear fbennet,

I've been trying to understand how this plug-in works for the last two months, but so far the choice of folders the system makes when clicking on the (back-)arrow seems quite random, rather than a true chronological history of my moves through the library. What I was looking for was some kind of browser arrows, similar to those one can find in "finder" or on a regular browser, which would bring me back where I was just a second before in my library.

The idea would be (e.g.) to make it possible to get back to the folder one was working with (re-organizing its contents, for instance) after reassigning a file/note to a reference in some other folder in the library. With a large library like mine it becomes rather tedious to have to search back the original folder I was at.

I am of course absolutely not aware of the kind of programming skills and tinkering something like this would demand, thus simply a humble comment.

(I don't know if I am clear, let me know and I will try to explain it in other words otherwise)

I look forward to your reply,

Nacho
  • By default, separate browsing histories are preserved for each collection. If you select another collection, you open a separate history for that collection. If you want everything in one sequence, set the anchor (IIRC it's from a right click menu on the house). The plugin can't track the collection in which each item was viewed, but it will track the items visited. If you want everything in one place at some point, you can select all items browsed, and dump them in a fresh collection.
  • ok, many thanks!

It seems then that a logical improvement to zotero would be to make collections searchable items (something rather logical for a large tree)

Best
  • It seems then that a logical improvement to zotero would be to make collections searchable items (something rather logical for a large tree)
    You might want to follow this thread where this improvement has been suggested.