Macs, Firefox 11, Word Integration, and PythonExt

I'm getting Firefox 11 pushed to me now, but when I run its compatibility check it says that PythonExt 111220 is not compatible. The known issues page for that plugin on Google Code confirms this. However, I'm having a hard time determining from the Zotero site if PythonExt is still needed to use the Mac Word integration plugin. The message from Simon at http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/22476/%3FFocus%3D120348 almost seems to be saying that the release plug-in does not but the MacWord Integration Trunk XPI should. Is that the case? I'd like update Firefox (which has acted like it needs an update for weeks now), but I really don't want to break Zotero Mac-to-Word integration two weeks before my diss is due.
  • Well. I am ussing firefox 11 but in windows system. Also I have install zotero standalone!
    And I also run with office 2007.
  • It constantly repeat. Also I have firefox closed. I am working with zotero standalone creating notes from some refference.
    And then the program tell me sync error and ask me to reestart firefox which is closed!
  • Hi Mark,

I experienced the same thing on Mac using snow leopard, zotero 3.0.3 and Firefox. I did not found clear information but when I found on git hub a discussion of programmers I decided to give it a try. And: it works! I just tested it briefly. It seems the zotero programmers changed the way how zotero connects with MS word - because they dont want to fix the pythonext every other firefox release.
    But you have to install the latest Word-integration plug-in from the zotero pages. At least in my case this did not work automatically with the "search for plug-in updates" function within firefox. Maybe because FF 10 needs the older one? So while I am writing this you should use the "Zotero for Mac integration 3.5.1"
    So this is what I did:

1. download and update to Zotero for Mac integration 3.5.1
    2. I did not restart at this point, but
    3. update firefox 10 to firefox 11
    4. restart firefox and accept the message that pythonext is dissabled
    5. after Restart FF I entered the add-ons-manager and opend the zotero for mac integration plug-in and reinstalled it for word
    6. after that I opend word 2011 and it worked so far fine. I tested inserting citations, bibliografy and changing the citation style from inline to footnote - all worked as expected.

So hope this help you and have fun with zotero and word on mac
    Olaf
  • edited March 17, 2012
    Mark Alan Singer: Word for Mac integration 3.5 and later don't require PythonExt. If you upgrade to Firefox 11, you'll get this automatically.

luciazumarraga: Word for Windows integration works with Firefox 11 and Zotero Standalone, and this doesn't sound related to the original poster's question. If you're having problems, start a new thread and describe them in more detail.
  • Simon - I wasn't sure what I was to get automatically, but I just installed the WordMac Integration 3.5 and disabled PythonExt without upgrading to Firefox 11 (so that I could go backward if I had to). That works, so I'm running the FF11 update after I post.

Thanks for your help, though I'm surprised I missed that plug-in update. I guess I should dig down in that page periodically as well as checking the front of the site for updates.