remove embedded commands

hello,

is there a way to remove hidden commands that zotero embeds in a (OOo)text document, like it is possible with endnote? Perhaps if I save the file in a certain format (but which?)?
  • I think what you want to do is to flatten the fields. I don't have a copy of OOo to hand, and I can't seem to find how to do it online just now, so you'll have to look yourself (and it may not be called "flattening fields" exactly). In Word you accomplish it by
    Ctrl-Shift-F9. You can "Select All" and flatten every field in a document at once, or do it one at a time. This converts all of the field information into plain text.
  • thank you scot, this sort of does the trick.

the downside, however, if you want to convert all fields at once and you select all, it will also convert your footnotes (the normal ones, i.e.without zotero information) into plain text, that is a normal number. The footnote itself, the text, gets lost.

For future reference: in OOo select the field/select all - cut - paste content (ctrl+shift+V) and choose unformatted text (might all be called sth slightly different as I have a German OOo version)
  • it will also convert your footnotes (the normal ones, i.e.without zotero information) into plain text, that is a normal number. The footnote itself, the text, gets lost.
    That is no good. Hmm. And no way to flatten fields without cutting and pasting? Perhaps that's true, but it sounds odd to me.
  • "Ctrl-Shift-F9. You can "Select All" and flatten every field in a document at once, or do it one at a time. This converts all of the field information into plain text."

Hi Scot, do you have any idea how i get to this command from the menus (Word 2007 or 2003)? I find the command helpful, but want to know what I'm telling Word to do exactly, and the Word help files were very unhelpful.
  • I did some quick research with Google. The conclusion: Word doesn't provide a menu option to flatten fields (because of this, other programs like Endnote X contain an extra icon in their toolbar for this purpose). If you wish to read a bit more about field codes, maybe the document linked to below will be of interest. It is somewhat more detailed than the Word help files (I suggest reading pages 14-15 on "Locking And Unlinking Fields").

http://www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/e1182.pdf