Sync Pricing with limit on number of links

I would like to suggest that the storage size and pricing include a limit on the number of items linked.

That way those that want to sync thousands of bibliographic entries would be charged even if all the entries were to *links to files*. I think that this more accurately reflects those that can and want to pay for syncing services.

Wealthy academics and researchers often have access to modern databases (JSTOR etc) so will more often just have links to these databases, using a small amount of memory, safe in the knowledge that they can get the file again any time. To them the sync service is not expensive and very helpful as they travel from place to place, computer to computer with their large lists of references.

Poor Phd students without access may on the other hand have hard files, Phd thesis of their peers. You might even consider increasing the free memory limit but that is not the point of this suggestion.

You can spot someone with the need and the ability to pay for syncing by the size of their bibliography.

Community spirited people who have large bibliographies can also choose to share them in groups, in which storage appears to be free. So if there were item limits you would only be asking for subscriptions from those that both have a lot of bibliographic material and don't want to share it. I am not sure if groups can be sync to but there is talk of being able to do so and it is possible to sync manually.

What do other users think?

Tim
  • Data syncing has always been free and unlimited, and we have no intention of charging for it.

File syncing has direct costs to us based on the amount used, so we charge for it.

And group file syncing is not unlimited. It counts against the group owner's storage quota.

Again, there are plenty of free WebDAV options if you don't want to or are unable to pay for Zotero File Storage. The distinction between linking and storing files really isn't what you seem to think it is in all of these threads you're posting to.
  • First of all, thank you again for solving that bug.

Secondly, while I am miserly I am not particularly worried about the cost because I am also fairly wealthy. I have my Zotero database/storage on my flash drive which I carry around. Even so, I have purchased 5GB of storage space to help fund Zotero development and support.

I see that Zotero is using Google's servers
    http://www.digitalscholar.org/z_terms
    but there seems to be a considerable difference - a factor of 5 or so - between the Zotero cheapest pricing and that of Google:
    https://developers.google.com/storage/docs/pricingandterms
    This differential exists I presume because, as you have already stated candidly, it helps fund Zotero development and support.

But even if this were not the case, bandwidth costs about as much as storage so a price per item sync would also go towards defraying your costs in the same way, but, it was only a suggestion.

Why do I care? I have some sort of addiction to openness, but perhaps I am just misunderstanding completely, in any event, I am sorry since from your last phrase I presume I have been posting too much.

Tim
  • edited March 8, 2012
    Zotero uses Amazon, not google servers - it just uses google checkout for payments. But yes, the costs Zotero pays for storage are significantly lower that what it charges - in turn it provides free data syncing as well support and maintenance of the sync server and process.

The whole thing is unrelated to openness - Zotero is as open as it can be and the fact that you can sync without ever paying a penny (I'm a power user and have written several articles and a dissertation with Zotero yet never used file sync, e.g.) means that it's open to anyone, regardeless of financial means. Users who want the additional comfort of Zotero file storage essentially subsidize those who don't.
    Charging for bandwidth or trying to get money from people currently not using Z-storage for syncing would have the opposite effect of opening Zotero.

As for posting too much - I can't speak for Dan - I think it's great that you're enthusiastic about Zotero and we're happy to answer questions, but generally speaking it might be a good idea to spend a couple of months working with Zotero and familiarizing yourself with its features, its community, test out some different workflows etc. before making multiple feature requests.
  • I am sorry since from your last phrase I presume I have been posting too much.
    No, I wasn't saying that—just that in multiple threads you've drawn a connection between 1) linking vs. storing files and 2) paying for Zotero File Storage, when whether you link or store files has no effect on whether you have to pay for Zotero File Storage.