Trouble Importing Bio Info Automatically From Sites

I just downloaded Zotero 3.0.3 Stand Alone. I live in Africa where internet is not always available, so the Stand Alone was appealing in that it was not always attached to the FireFox Browser.
HOWEVER, I was told I could quickly import biographical material by going to certain websites (e.g. WorldCat.org) where a little blue book would be located on the URL bar-- simply click on it and it imports it to Zotero. I haven't seen this and have not been able to smoothly transfer bio material other than by hand (very time consuming!). What should I do?
  • did you also install the "standalone connector" plugin for your web-browser? You may find them on

http://www.zotero.org/support/3.0
  • Thanks Micha. Yes, I did install the connector. That is, I clicked on them and saved them to my desktop. I even tried to open them. But is there something I'm actually supposed to do with them?
    Further, how exactly does bio info import automatically. For example, I go to Worldcat.org and type in "Think Piper" and it takes me to his book with all the info. How is Zotero to help me from there?
  • which browser are you using? You need to actually _install_ the connector - not just download it. Typically, if you open the file in the appropriate browser, it will automatically install itself - but you'd notice that.
    Once it's working, you'd see the book icon in Safari/Chrome on a result page in Worldcat, you click it, Zotero imports the data.
  • Thanks Adam. I got it to work on Safari, though I had been using Firefox. I didn't notice it on Safari because it is not a little book like the directions have been saying but a folder off to the left.

I still haven't figured out how to do this on Firefox, though I've downloaded this several times. I'll keep trying
  • for Firefox you need to install the full Zotero add-on. It will behave like a connector when you have Zotero standalone open.
  • Actually, it worked for Safari because I downloaded Zotero Connector 3.0.3 for Safari (212 KB) . But I didn't see one specifically marked for Firefox, so I assumed it was Zotero Connector 3.0.3 for Google Chrome (179 KB). Is this correct? I don't actually use Google Chrome but the basic Firefox browser. Is this the issue?
  • See above - for Firefox you need to download the full add-on. The Google Chrome Connector is for Chrome/Chromium, not Firefox - it won't do anything in FF.
  • Thanks Adam for your help on this.

Are you talking about that option that says: Zotero 3.0.3 for Firefox (3.5 MB, Firefox extension)? Regarding the Zotero Standalone connectors, the only options I've found have been

Zotero Connector 3.0.3 for Google Chrome (179 KB)
    Zotero Connector 3.0.3 for Safari (212 KB)
  • "Are you talking about that option that says: Zotero 3.0.3 for Firefox (3.5 MB, Firefox extension)? "

yes.