How to uninstall styles from Zotero

Hi,
I'm trying to customise a csl file, but only way I can see it is in Zotero itself. So I install it every time and try format a bibliography in OpenOffice to see how it looks.
This way the citation styles are adding up, is there any way to uninstal added styles?

Or delete it from somewhere, I searched the zotero folder, but it seems to store citation styles in some other way than csl files.
  • Thanks for that and for the CSL editor.
  • I have a similar problem. I am trying to uninstall a style that I have created in Zotero.

The intuitive way to do this would seem to me to be to click the '-' button on the preferences>citations>styles dialogue. This doesn't seem to remove the style from the list, although it did delete the file.

From the post linked above, I don't know what "1.5 Sync preview 2.2" refers to. I guess this is from a previous version of Zotero that no longer applies.

Thanks in anticipation of help,
    Charlie

Version information: FireFox 10.0.2, Zotero 3.0.3, Windows 7
  • In fact, it looks like the list refreshes once a new style is added. I think this is no longer a problem for me.
  • edited February 19, 2012
    just to confirm: Using the (-) in the style manager in the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences is the right way to uninstall citation styles.
  • There is a bug here I think. Pressing the - button does not remove the style from the list when I do this.

The most reliable way I've found to update a style is to i) uninstall the style, ii) turn off firefox and word iii) then reinstall the style from a new location and reopen word.

I found that I could not get changes in the style to register in word unless I restarted word.

There is probably a quicker way of doing this, but I haven't found exactly where the problem is yet. Has anyone else seen similar behaviour?

Thanks,
    Charlie
  • no, that's unnecessarily complicated. All you need to do to update a style is to re-install the style and, in an existing word document, switch to a different style and back.

Uninstalled styles should (and do) disappear immediately from the list. If that's not the case, it might well be that something in your style directory is shot. That's not a big deal. I'd recommend to make copies of all your custom styles and reset styles from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thanks. I'll try your simpler approach.

I think my problem may also come from the fact that I don't exactly understand what the ID tag is used for. Could this ID cause other files to be overwritten in the styles directory?
  • Huh. Now, the - button did work. I think this may be because I was editting the .csl file directly in the zotero folder before. Perhaps my text editor was altering whether the files could be deleted. PErhaps it was the ID I was using before.

I don't know, but it works now.

Ta.
  • yes. If you install several styles with the same ID that'll cause havoc - nothing that can't be repaired, but two different style files with the same ID will confuse Zotero and also potentially overwrite existing styles - hence we tell people to change the ID in custom styles.
  • I changed the ID to be different from the other IDs, but possibly had a file already with a filename that was the same as the ID of a different file.

Maybe, I just confused myself. Fixed now!