Ebd., Ebda. and Zotero update 3.0.1

2»
  • edited February 18, 2012
    fbennett discovered that the cause of this problem was that I had my footnotes set to restart numbering with each chapter, which tripped up the processor. This explains why some ibids formed properly early in the document.

In the debugging process I discovered 98 SBII's (should be ibid items). Working from Zotero 3.0b2, I had 1 SBII. I also discovered a workaround with Zotero 3.0.3 that allowed me to keep all my citations in the same document, and it left only 15 SBII's. That's not as good as 1, but it is better than 98. Here is what I did:

1. I set footnote numbering to go by the document.
    2. I refreshed the document citations and bibliography.
    3. I changed the footnote numbering to restart for each chapter.

Any future refresh would bring back the SBII's, but changing the footnote numbering setting is an easy last-minute task.

Edit: Of course, fbennett rightly noted that splitting the document into separate files would solve the problem. However, my school's style required that I not restart initial citations with each chapter, so that did not work for me. That was why I was not able to use a master document, though I had it set up to do so early on. Master documents work very well except that you cannot keep the citation logic continuous through the whole document.
  • why is it that i´ve never seen zotero´s ibid-solution in my work? do you have to change settings in order to get it working? or is it limited to certain styles only? i´m using harvard reference 7 (author-date) (de)
    any ideas?

thanks!
  • Yes, the use of position-sensitive formatting such as ibid or note-number back-references depends on the style. Harvard 7 is a simple author-date style that doesn't use those features.
  • thank you, how can i find out which styles actually support ibid? i´d really like to use this feature, if possible without fumbling with techical things too much. is there a search toggle for them in the repository window?
  • no, not currently. Östereichische Zeitschrift für Politikwissenschaft might work if you're working in German and looking for an author-date style with ebd.
  • looks awesome, much more suitable in my case than harvard. will probably use it, thank you. one thing: it does not include the doi in the bibliography - is there a way to have that in as well?
  • not w/o modifying the style, no.