Ebd., Ebda. and Zotero update 3.0.1

Hi everybody,
I've been using a slightly modified version of the harvard 7 de citation-style. Everything was working well before Zotero updated to Version 3.0.1 this morning. Now the Ibid. and the Ibid+Locator citations don't work anymore. They look the same as the first (full) citation: (author, date: page). Does anyone have an Idea? I tried other citation-styles, but the same problem occured.
And another question: I tried several Times to change the Ibid (without locator) citation to "(Ebda.)". If i cite the same book but a diffrent page the citation looks like that: (Ebd.:S. 8). Thats exactly what i want it to look like. But if i cite the same book and the same page the citation now looks like (Ebd.). BUT i want it to look like (Ebda.).
I tried it several times but without success.
I'd be very happy about any suggestions. I'm just about to write my final thesis.
Thanks alot :-)
  • ibid for in-text citations is broken in Zotero 3.0.1. It is fixed already and will start working again in 3.0.2, which I expect to be out soon.
    Different ibid strings for ibid with locator and without cannot be included in Zotero. One could likely hack this, though:
    Use strip-periods="true" on the ibid term. Then, for ibid-with locator use suffix="." of "ibid" use suffix="a."
  • Thanks a lot for the fast reply!
    What do you exactly mean by "use strip-periods="true""?
    I now inserted that exact line on the ibid term, which looks like that:

<locale xml:lang="de">
    <terms>
    <term name="ibid">ebda.</term>
    <use strip-periods="true"/>
    </terms>
    </locale>

and under citation i did as follows:

<choose>
    <if position="ibid-with-locator">
    <text term="ibid" suffix=".: S. "/>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </if>
    <else-if position="ibid">
    <text term="ibid" suffix="a."/>
    </else-if>
    <else>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="year-date"/>
    </group>
    <group>
    <text variable="locator" prefix=": S. "/>
    </group>
    </else>
    </choose>

Well, this doesn't work. Please don't laugh, i'm a complete new bee when it comes to programming xml.
  • not in the term definition - when you actually use the term, i.e.
    <text term="ibid" strip-periods="true" suffix=".: S. "/>
    and
    <text term="ibid" suffix="a." strip-periods="true"/>
  • Yessss! This works perfectly! At least in the test pane.
    Now just waiting for the update so it works in-text too :-)
    thanks a lot!
  • Hi,

Thanks for bringing up this topic - I was about to go mad as I thought I magically changed my otherwise well-working sytle..

So I'll wait for the update ;-)

However, I have another question.
    I use the harvard style, as SevenEleven, and changed it slightly. It works fine.

Now I'd love to change all (ebd.: 87) to (date: 87).
    For example:

blablabla (Meier 1987: 3).
    tatatatata (1987: 5). --> (would be Meier, too)
    lalalalla (Peters 2001: 76)

and so on.
    I tried to edit the style myself, however I had no luck. I suppose it does not work yet because of the general issue with ebd. and zotero 3.0.1., right?

Or could someone provide an alternative script for that section?

Thank you!
    hendrik
  • You should be able to test this in the CSL test pane (select ibid with locator from the dropdown menu that defaults to "First")- if it works there it will work with the next version of Zotero.
  • thanks! yes, it worked in the test pane. great!
  • edited February 8, 2012
    The 3.0.2 version of Zotero including this fix is now up.
    edit: sorry about that - see below.
  • No it's not. But this fix is available for testing in the 3.0 Branch dev XPI.

3.0.2 won't be out for another day or two.
  • Any word about when 3.0.2 might be released? I need to print my dissertation soon (with ibid), and I am using Zotero Standalone. If it is delayed, is there somewhere to download a build of 3.0?
  • Zotero for Firefox and Zotero Standalone will share a data directory by default. If you're in a rush, just install the 3.0 Branch dev XPI and the appropriate word processor plugin in Firefox and close Standalone. But 3.0.2 will probably be out later today.
  • Wonderful, thanks for the tip and update.
  • edited February 14, 2012
    Okay, I have 3.0.2, but ibid still does not work after a refresh or after editing a citation that should be ibid.

Edit 1: Has anyone else had success with ibid in 3.0.2? I am running Zotero Standalone on Linux Mint with LibreOffice 3.4.4.

Edit 2: It may be my particular document because it works in other documents. I will have to look into this one further.
  • Possibly you have the plugin popup citation editor open on the citation(s)? It needs to be closed for citations to update automatically. Another thing to try would be to switch away to another style, and then back, in your problem document. Edits to a style won't take effect until forced in that way.
  • Thanks for the tips. Manually removing and then reinstalling the word processor integration extension appears to have solved the problem.
  • I spoke too soon. I booted into Windows Vista and found that my large document would not refresh properly using Zotero Standalone 3.0.2 and LibreOffice 3.5. I also discovered that my Firefox profile still had Zotero 3.0b2 installed, so I tried that and it worked, ibids and all. I then booted back into Linux, reinstalled the word processor integration extension and tried refreshing. It updated the bibliography with the latest from my database but then reverted all the ibids to subsequent references as in Zotero 3.0.1. So, I know that it is not a Linux problem, that Zotero is refreshing my large document but doing so erroneously. I don't know how to explain the ibid problem (since they function properly in small documents), but it appears there is a bug in Zotero 3.0.2 preventing it from properly handling large documents. I would be happy to provide the file to a developer privately. I will see if I can find my way to the bug tracker.

In the meantime,is there a repository of previous Zotero builds? I would like to revert to 3.0 so I can work on my dissertation.
  • http://download.zotero.org/extension/zotero-3.0.xpi
    is the 3.0 download - all old xpis follow the same patter, i.e. 2.1.10 is
    http://download.zotero.org/extension/zotero-2.1.10.xpi
    etc. Remember, though, all of these have other bugs, including in the citation processor, and you'll get zero support for any issues you have.

As for the longer document, try running through these:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
    it's highly unlikely that Zotero has a general bug wrt longer documents. It's likely that there is something specific breaking the processor's ibid.
  • Document size shouldn't make any difference. I would suggest going through the steps for debugging broken documents, which should either fix the issue or produce some more information to go on.

If you're pressed for time and just want to roll back to 3.0b2, it's here.
  • I went through all the debugging tips to no avail except that I was able to isolate an offending citation, or so I thought. Whenever this citation is in the document, ibids do not properly form after it (but they do before it). If I delete it and referesh, ibid citations form properly. Seems to signal that it is causing the problem, but...

To solve the problem I deleted everything before it, made a completely new item in Zotero (not using duplication) and created a new citation. Any subsequent citations that should form as ibid refresh as a full subsequent citation.

To add to the mystery, I copied everything from this apparent problem citation to a citation that should form as ibid, and it formed properly.

Finally, remembering some of the debugging tips that I tried (that also failed), I decided to delete the table of contents, list of tables, and bibliography. This did not solve the problem.

It is a mystery to me. The only difference I can see between the document that refreshes properly and the original document is size (20 pages vs. 386 pages).
  • Sorry, you lost me in your description somewhere - the long document without said citation works correctly or not?
  • Sorry, I was just trying to document my procedure thoroughly. Bottom line: the long document does not work, even if I create an entirely new item in Zotero and a new citation.
  • We're curious whether the document formats correctly when this one citation is not included.
  • If this one citation and everything before it is deleted, the document formats correctly.

If I then take that document and add just that one citation, the document does not format correctly.
  • Can you export the citation as Zotero RDF, paste it to http://gist.github.com/ save it as a "Public Gist", and post the URL from the address bar back here? I'm also curious what style you are using. If this is with a style from the Zotero repository, please tell us which one. If it is a custom style, please also paste it up as a gist and give us that link as well.
  • and if you just delete the citation and nothing else from the whole document?
  • @fbennett: The citation is at: https://gist.github.com/1845907; I am using the "Wheaton College Ph.D. in Biblical and Theological Studies" style in the repository (aka: wheaton-phd-bith.csl).

@adamsmith: If I delete only that citation and any others connected to that same item ibid citations still do NOT format properly. Perhaps there are other problem citations as well? I am not sure. I am just working with what I know causes a problem.
  • edited February 16, 2012
    Thanks for this information. Simple tests here pass fine with the style and this input, but that's true at your end as well.

If you are using an unmodified copy of the repository style (its full filename is now "wheaton-college-phd-in-biblical-and-theological-studies.csl") then the style is valid. On a copy of your document, reinstall the style from the repository, and to be sure the installed copy is taking effect in the document, switch away to another style and then reselect it, if you haven't already gone through those steps.

Once we're sure we're all using the same kit, let's examine the context of the very first ibid that fails. Check the following things:
    1. Are the should-be-ibid item (SBII) and its predecessor in a footnote automatically created by Zotero, or in a footnote created manually, with the citations inserted into the existing footnote (it shouldn't make any difference, but let's check this for completeness)
    2. Are there other references in the document with the same short form (Galling, “Der Beichtspiegel”) that refer to a different resource? (again, this should make no difference, but just for thoroughness in grasping the context)
    3. Is a pinpoint page number set on the SBII?
    4. Is a pinpoint page number set on its predecessor?
    5. Is the predecessor of the SBII in the same footnote, or the sole item in a preceding citation?
    6. Do you see a pattern in the failing ibids with respect to items 3-5 above?
    Sorry for all the questions, but we need to get a feel for context, and any patterns you can identify will be helpful.
  • Thanks for being so responsive on this issue.

I deleted my old csl file and installed again from the repository and then refreshed the document.

I went through the whole document and found 98 SBII's (<10% of the citations). Looking at the very first:

1. The footnote is created manually with citations inserted (this is true everywhere).
    2. I do not believe so. There are three citations of the source (and, as it turns out, author) that is the first SBII. Only one of those is an initial citation, so it is safe to assume this relates only to one Zotero item.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes.
    5. The sole item in a preceding citation (though the other case happens elsewhere).
    6. After the first SBII there are no automatically generated ibids. I rarely cite without a pinpoint page number except early on (when the problem had not come up yet), and looking at the 98 I can't remember any that did not have one. There was no consistent pattern with respect to #5: they could have been in the same footnote, separate footnotes, with intervening content footnotes without Zotero citations, etc.
  • Just as a reminder, running Zotero 3.0b2 in Firefox 3.6.20 in Windows Vista with LibreOffice 3.5 (I feel like I need to catch by breath!), the ibid problem still does not really crop up. I checked every citation and found one SBII, but there were intervening footnotes that may explain that. Not sure if that is relevant, but I thought I would provide the update anyway.
  • Thanks, that's a useful pointer. I'll take a close look at what's changed in the processor between 3.0b2 and 3.0.3 and see if I can spot a possible cause. I don't doubt that there is an issue that needs to be addressed, but I'll need to reproduce the fault locally, or identify its cause in the code, in order to pin it down.