Zotero storage purge function not working

I'm trying to purge my storage and make sure all of my computers on which Zotero is installed are synced with the cleaned up storage.

When I purge the storage, it says it has been purged. Then, the next day I go back, and I have 98MB in the storage again.

I thought this might be a sync issue, where one of the zotero plugins was reuploading the library to the zotero storage remotely, so I changed the login information, so that the other clients couldn't connect with the Zotero server. But it hasn't seemed to work.

Am I missing something about how Zotero storage works? As I understand it, it is a mirror of one's local libraries (across zotero clients on multiple computers). So, I add an item to a local library; it syncs with the zotero storage; and then I go to another computer, give it some time to sync with the storage, and the item shows up on the other computer. Furthermore, if I purge the Zotero storage space, it will wipe the libraries on all my various computers in the next sync session.

Is this how it works?

Any ideas on why my storage won't purge?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Furthermore, if I purge the Zotero storage space, it will wipe the libraries on all my various computers in the next sync session.
    No, this isn't the case.

Purging storage on the website just clears the files in your personal library from your online account—you can see on that same page that your storage usage drops. All the files still exist on your synced computers.

Also, you seem to be generally confused about item data vs. file storage. Purging storage has no effect on synced data (which is why all your item data will still show up online afterward).

Purging storage also has no effect on group files.
  • Thanks for your help, Dan.

Perhaps I am generally confused about it. So please explain the difference.

As I see it, from a user's perspective, there is one block of storage space available for free (100MB), and whether it is filled with files (pdfs, etc. and the library file structure) or "item data" (including, presumably, metadata, the webpage snapshots, etc.) does not matter. Once you hit your storage quota (filling it with files and/or data), your library stops syncing with the Zotero storage space. Is that incorrect?

In any case, for me, is the next step to remove all files from my various "local" libraries on different computers, so that they stop syncing with the Zotero storage space and filling it back up?

My end goal here is to remove all the files and data I have stored and start anew by building a new library. Any suggestions on how to accomplish that?
  • Once you hit your storage quota (filling it with files and/or data), your library stops syncing with the Zotero storage space. Is that incorrect?
    Yes, that's incorrect. This is the quota message:
    You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota. Some files were not uploaded. Other Zotero data will continue to sync to the server.
    Data syncing is unlimited and continues to work regardless of your file storage quota. The Sync page also says this: "Data syncing is free, has no storage limit, and can be used without file syncing."
    My end goal here is to remove all the files and data I have stored and start anew by building a new library. Any suggestions on how to accomplish that?
    If you really want to clear your entire library, you can just delete all the items, empty the trash, and sync.

For good measure, you can also use the Restore to Server/Restore from Server sync reset options, which might speed up your library syncing slightly going forward, but that's optional.

If you just want to get rid of the files to address the quota issue, just delete the attachment items and empty the trash.
  • Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it.
  • A big thanks to the entire Zotero Team!

I've also wondered about the syncing and storage limit. Can you provide a further clarification about the PURGE function. When I purge, my online PDF's are removed, but my local PDF's remain intake (on two different computers), correct? Will purging then allow new citations + pdfs to sync across computers again?

Rob
  • The metadata for your items (citations) will always be able to sync.

Purging your storage will remove attached files from your online library but will leave the local copies on your computer. If you leave file syncing enabled in the Zotero client it will try to upload all the same files again, so if you've hit the storage limit you will hit it again unless you remove some attachments from your library locally.
  • Thanks for the clarification.
    It seems that there is no workaround the 100mb limit aside from $$$.
    Nonetheless, this a great service to the world. Thank you zotero!
  • Hello,

Referring to last comments, how does purging work with files that are locally stored on USB keys, that are used on different devices (and synced)?
    Furthermore, is it possible to pay in another way than via google? It's terrible to open up a Google account, hungry for all sorts of private data, just to simply hand 20 bucks over (and Paypal also requires the awful Google account) Oh, sorry, actually, its 41.- US$ (the least part I understand, by the way).

Thanks for any clarification on this.
  • Referring to last comments, how does purging work with files that are locally stored on USB keys, that are used on different devices (and synced)?
    Not sure what you mean here. Purging unlinks files from your online account. If they're still stored locally, eventually the files will sync back up again. Purging doesn't have any effect on locally stored files.
    Furthermore, is it possible to pay in another way than via google?
    No.
    Oh, sorry, actually, its 41.- US$
    No, it's $20.