Chicago note

2»
  • As I say above, though - manually created notes will not conform to CMoS for subsequent notes (nor for citing specific pages/passages in a work).
    If you're going to seriously write in a note based style you need some way to integrate with the word processor.
  • OK. I understand the MS Word Add-in. The manual notes are (were?) just useful if I am helping a student or colleague with a citation query and I can (could?) simply paste a set of sources in a note into an email or print off a page to give them. But I now see how the add-in works and undergrads can use just fine. Two queries:

1) For computers that are under Deep Freeze protection, can Zotero and/or Zotero Word add-in be part of some remote update system?

2) In MS 2010, can the zotero button bar always be present or does one always have to click Add-ins? (I should be able to figure that out myself of course.)
  • Sure, notes can be useful - that's why it's possible - and will remain possible - to create them.

1) That's really a question for your admin and depends on the specific set-up.
    2) Has little to do with Zotero - that's a Word issue. I imagine you can customize which ribbons are shown permanently, but I don't know any details - this is probably not the best place to find a Word expert.
    I know it's possible to customize keyboard shortcuts to the word plugin for advanced users - again, though, how exactly to do that is Word specific.
  • Presently I have changed the Quick Copy style to Chicago Manual of Style (note without bibliography) (legacy), but I still get only bibliographically formatted citations.

(Eg: Taylor, C. C. W. The Atomists: Leucippus and Democritus: Fragments. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2010.)

The same thing happens when I change to MHRA legacy note format or Chicago note format. Zotero changes the style all right (formatting changes) but it is still bibliographic instead of footnote.

(Eg: Taylor, C. C. W., The Atomists: Leucippus and Democritus: Fragments (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2010)
    For MHRA (note without bibliography) (legacy)

Am I doing something wrong? How could I get the note format for Chicago?

Ubuntu 10.04, FF10.02, Z 3.03 (LO 3.5)
  • Meelis: See above. There's no need to use the old style, which is just an empty pointer to the current one. Use the current one and Shift-drag or use Ctrl-Alt-A/Cmd-Shift-A, and you'll get the same results as before.
  • Ctrl-Alt-A is the solution, thanks. I always knew that Quick Copy shortcut is Ctrl-Alt-C. This is even written so in preferences?
  • But yes, it's also in the preferences
    Shortcuts --> Copy selected item citations to clipboard
  • edited February 28, 2012
    Quick Copy shortcut for bibligraphies Ctrl-Alt-C is in the preferences, yes (Export). Previously it worked in such a way that it copied Chicago Note (without bibliography) as footnote. It does not so any more. Quick Copy shortcut Ctrl-Alt-A is not listed in the Export preferences and I - having used Zotero since 2006 - have never heard of it or seen it anywhere. It appears that it is indeed listed in Shortcuts tab, but honestly, I have never noticed it. This caused the problem for me.

Edited to explain myself better.
  • edited February 28, 2012
    I'm not making stuff up. It's listed in the Shortcuts tab of the Zotero preferences.
    edit: didn't see your edit.
  • Meelis: If you're still unclear about why this is happening, please read the entire above thread. It's all explained.

In any case, I've updated the text at the top of that pane for 3.0.4:
    Quick Copy allows you to copy selected items to the clipboard by pressing [key] or dragging items into a text box on a web page.

For bibliography styles, you can copy citations or footnotes by pressing [key] or holding down Shift before dragging items.
  • I got my problem solved already with your first mention of the shortcut, thank you. Strange that Ctrl-Alt-A has eluded me for so long.
  • My editor is requesting this format: Chicago Manual of Style (Note without Bibliography)

note: Douglas Adams, The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (New York: Del Rey, 2002), 12

With the title in italics.

But Zotero is giving me a note with Adams, Douglas - is this an error, a change in Chicago? How can I solve this problem? Thank you.
  • I think the plugin citation method is working - that was hard to figure out - I think there has to be an easier way - the quick method in the pane doesn't seem to have a note option.
  • An explicit note option will be added to the "Create Bibliography" window, but you can already:
    a) use the "Chicago Manual of Style - Quick Copy" style or
    b) use Quick Copy http://www.zotero.org/support/creating_bibliographies#quick_copy and either SHift+drag or the "Create Citation for Selected Items" Shortcut (see Zotero Preferences-->Shortcuts).
  • I'm trying to get a citation "note" - I've managed to get the MSWord plugin to work, but am searching for a way that is faster - the keyboard shortcut does not work on the Mac. It also took me about an hour of searching through forums to figure it out - Quick Copy should offer citations in addition to bibliography (if it doesn't already and I just don't understand).
  • It does already, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't really know what to say except to ask you to re-read my post carefully, assuming that I both understand what you need and know what I'm talking about. If something isn't clear I'm happy to answer questions.

The shortcut with near certainty works on Mac, as does shift+drag.
  • Thanks - I finally got the Shift+Drag to work (once resetting the Export tab in preferences, I was changing the preferences in the MS Word doc which allowed the Citation pull down menu, but not Shift and Drag. The key is Shift+drag for note, and Drag for bib.

The shortcut keys, however, do not work - shift+option+a that is listed in the menu doesn't do anything. I'm running Snow Leopard and MS Word for Mac 2011.

thanks again
  • The shortcut is control+option+a (^ is control; ⇧ is shift)
  • edited September 20, 2012
    voxclamantis: Which shortcut are you trying to use? The Word plugin shortcut is Control-Option-A. The Quick Copy shortcut for a note would be Cmd-Shift-A.

But you don't want to mix citations from the Word plugin and Quick Copy. If you're using the Word plugin, don't use Quick Copy (which includes dragging and Cmd-Shift-A).