Society of Biblical Literature Note Style

Society of Biblical Literature Note Style is now available in the Dev Styles section at http://www.zotero.org/styles/ It will work with dev xpi and with the upcoming 1.0.4 version. Please post any corrections for the style here.

Please note that abbreviations for series titles are not possible currently, but should be possible in 1.5.
  • This is great news! John
  • Thanks. Very glad also to hear about the hope for series title abbreviations!
  • Having SBL style will be great!
  • Wow - this style has sold Zotero to me! I've been spending too much time this week trying to get either biblatex or bibus to create something resembling the SBL style.

Just one thing, my college doesn't like the use of ibid, so would it be possible to release another version without ibid? (I'll try and give it a shot myself, but if it's not too much of a hassle...)
    Daniel
  • edited April 15, 2008
    Sorry, the ibid issue should really be solved globally in Zotero--otherwise we'd have to create a no-ibid version for each note style. But you can easily edit the existing style yourself--just delete the if/else-if statements that contain ibid.
  • Thanks eraz, I've done so. Though I'm with you, it would be nice if it were part of the Zotero settings.
  • I tried to use the SBL style in Word2007. It works fine IF one does not try to include a page (or other reference) number. If I do try, I get the following message:
    "An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again."
    Firefox is indeed open, and the Zotero addin with page numbers works fine with all the other styles I tried.
    Thanks.
  • edited April 15, 2008
    As I mention above, SBL style does not work with 1.0.3:
    It will work with dev xpi and with the upcoming 1.0.4 version.
    You can download dev xpi while you're waiting for 1.0.4 and then just install 1.0.4 on top of the dev version.
  • Thanks, can you also tell me where to get the 1.0.4 dev version, I can't seem to find it...
  • Read instructions before downloading--there are some risks involved in running the dev version:

http://dev.zotero.org/svn_and_trac_access#development_xpi
  • edited December 7, 2008
    If I make a number of citations of the same work, say four in a row, and I add a page number to the third one, and refresh, the fourth one does not become Ibid, but a short citation. I guess it should be ibid if they all refer to the same work with no intervening works.
  • On abbreviating Journals...

I have v1.9.

I was able to create a citation format style that created abbreviated Journal titles. It only requires that you enter those abbreviated titles in each the filed called "Journal Abbrev." To create your own, see http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5104/modifying-word-plugin-using-journal-abbreviation-instead-of-publication-name/?Focus=22077#Comment_22077
  • When I cite a volume in a series, the series name is displayed, but the number is not. This is true for both footnotes and bibliography. For example:

Chicago: Winston, D. The Wisdom of Solomon: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary. AB 43. Garden City N.Y.: Doubleday, 1979.

SBL: Winston, D. The Wisdom of Solomon: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary. AB. Garden City N.Y.: Doubleday, 1979.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
    Miryam
  • Hi all,
    I'm wondering how accurate the SBL style in zotero is compared to others like Chicago.
    I haven't used much but I found out a little error such as "2nd ed." rather than "2d ed." I don't think that should be an issue but if there are more cases of such errors and if Chicago one is more error free, I'd just consider using Chicago one. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    KH
  • that error is a current Zotero limitation - it can only do ordinal numbers one way (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd).
    Generally SBL is pretty good, but Chicago is probably the single best style in the repository. Nothing else has been done and monitored as thoroughly.
  • On the "short" footnote form of jounal articles, I see the volume number that should not be there (either in Chicago or SBL). No. 1 is what it should appear; No. 2 is what Zotero creates. Can it be fixed?

1. Rendtorff, “Jakob in Bethel,” 512.

2. Rendtorff, “Jakob in Bethel,” 94:512.