Firefox often very slow (often has to be killed) since Zotero installation

This might be a bit off-topic, but as I'm using Zotero 2.1.10 through
Firefox 3.6.24 under ubuntu 10.04, I've thought I could ask here.

Firefox often becomes extremley slow, sometimes so much that I have to kill the process.
I know there are newer versions of Firefox, but do not know why this relatively old version is the one officially distributed for Ubuntu 10.04
(I regularly do all updates).
I'd appreciate your help with this problem and/or, in case this is not possible, an advice on whether zotero would work better with a newer version of Firefox or, perhaps, advice on whether I should actually upgrade to zotero 3.* or perhaps use the standalone version of zotero.

Many thanks for your help and please excuse me if my question is not appropriate in this forum, I really do not know where else to ask.

Agus
  • There have been significant improvements in Firefox since 3.6 and also the Zotero 3 is an improvement over Zotero 2.1 I would recommend at least upgrading the browser.

Alternatively, you can use the standalone. For me it is noticeably faster than the firefox plugin. (I am using it on a Mac)
  • You should definitely try the latest versions of Firefox and Zotero, but there's no reason Zotero should be making Firefox so slow, particularly when you're not actively using it. You can try temporarily disabling auto-sync in Sync pane of the Zotero preferences to see if that's contributing (though generally it's better for auto-sync to be enabled).