Editing styles: why does it have to be so difficult?

I’ve just discovered Zotero a few days ago, and really think it is great. The plug-in for word easily replaces EndNote, and Zotero integration with VUE makes for endless possibilities.

Exporting my EndNote libraries was easy and I was all set to go, but then I to my surprise discover that in a program where everything seems to be straight forward and extremely user friendly, that one of the most important features in a citation software, editing citation styles, is complicated and time consuming! Why?

Even EndNote has managed to make a simple way to edit citations styles, why not in Zotero?

Before I discovered this I was fully prepared to uninstall EndNote and commit to a new life with Zotero, but now I’m in doubt. With such an important lack of functionality I’m not really sure if I would recommend it to my research colleges either.

Are there any plans for improving this?
  • edited May 31, 2010
    @totalbaluba,
    I’ve just discovered Zotero a few days ago ...
    [T]o my surprise ... editing citation styles ... is complicated and time consuming!
    I'm very sorry to hear that. Give it a few more days, things might look better when the CSL language comes into focus for you.

A new version of the Citation Style Language used by Zotero (CSL 1.0) was recently released, and developers are working to integrate a new formatter based upon it as we speak. There is also work afoot, most recently in the Mendeley project, on a graphical tool for editing CSL 1.0 styles.

Automating citation and bibliography formatting in a robust way is a hard problem. CSL is certainly one of the best solutions out there, and rapidly gaining strength. It's probably worth giving the thing a bit more time.

Apart from that, hand-editing styles isn't actually all that difficult to master, with a small amount of patience. :)
  • Thanks for an encouraging reply!

I’ll give it another try, but a graphical interface for editing citation styles (similar to what is found in EndNote) would make switching from other citation software to Zotero much more tempting, and no doubt would lead to more users from the scientific community.
  • Having used Zotero for about a year now, this is one of the things I most miss about Endnote. Editing styles in Endnote is so simple and straightforward. I am never going to delve into messing around with CSL--I just have too many other things I need to do, and it looks very complicated. So I'm at the mercy of the zotero community. I should say that in general that community has been quite helpful, but if I want to make quirky personal changes in the layout of my bibliography, it's just not going to happen.

I know CSL is more simple and elegant from the perspective of people who have experience with coding, but as a general user who does not want to have to get into coding, it's a real drawback. Hopefully some sort of layman's solution can be created.
  • edited May 31, 2010
    JonEP, thank you for your words of encouragement. I should maybe point out that I'm not involved in the wysiwyg editor project personally, mainly because I also have too many other things that I need to do. :) But the project link is here, if you ever get curious and want to follow along.
  • edited May 31, 2010
    Having used Zotero for about a year now, this is one of the things I most miss about Endnote. Editing styles in Endnote is so simple and straightforward.
    Funny; that wasn't my experience at all.

So I'm the creator of CSL, and the impetus for it was threefold:

1. Belief that the styling systems in applications like Endnote were poorly-designed; simultaneously too difficult to use (with the strange custom syntax for dealing with things like substitutions and such) and too simple (couldn't support some features important in many real world styles). CSL does things that cannot be done in Endnote.

2. Desire to decouple styling from particular applications, so that you could use the same style files in multiple applications and contexts.

3. Ultimately (when everything is fully built out) users should no longer have to worry about styling details.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be proven right here, but it's just taking time. As fbennett suggests, if you really care about this, try to follow development of the CSL editor. This will be the GUI everybody's been waiting for.
  • John
    I know CSL is more simple and elegant from the perspective of people who have experience with coding, but as a general user who does not want to have to get into coding, it's a real drawback.
    having worked with CSL and some with Endnote, I'd want to add that the main advantage of CSL is not that it is somehow "purer" - which I don't care about all that much either - but that it allows things that Endnote styles don't.
    There is the obvious easy switching between Footnote-based, and in-text styles, but more importantly there are a whole bunch of little things "under the hood" that allow for better, more precise styles - it's functions like the "group" feature that allows citations to remain correct when data in a field is missing or additional data is given
    (think e.g. of something like: Author. Title. 2nd vol, 3rd Edition.
    - now take 3rd Edition out and you want the period after 2nd vol)
    It also allows for more complicated rules based on conditionals -
    "If an item has a URL put [internet] after the title" and more complicated versions of that.
    There is probably more that I'm forgetting - Endnote styles give you a fake sense of customizability that falls apart as things get serious - to wits, compare the better and more complicated CSL style output - MLA, Chicago, APA 6th edition - with Ednote output.
  • edited May 31, 2010
    Apropos comments by bdarcus and adamsmith above, see this user comment on the EndNote forums. Extraneous periods, apparently still waiting for a fix two years on. Then there's this query on variations in title capitalization between item types. Not possible, apparently, but "most of the publishers that have this kind of requirement have editors that are quite capable of sorting it out for you at the end." Well, yeah.

I'll go out on a limb here, and suggest that it's only a matter of time before the EndNote team themselves adopt CSL, leveraging the work of talented contributors who have invested many years in building this resource. Being as how Thomson Reuters Scientific are absolutely a proponent of interoperability and easy data sharing and all. It's a big tent, and all are welcome.
  • Hello. CSL may well be easier than its competitors, but I think you're still slightly detached from the real world. There is plainly, for the general user (like me), a huge gap in user-friendliness between the main Zotero interface (which is immediately usable), and the obscurity of the process by which a changes in the style can be made. I've been sitting here for 3 hours trying to follow the instructions to make a small change. I've failed. I contend that only a tiny proportion of the computer-using public would ever be able to edit a style as things are at the moment. A 'graphical interface' (as you put it - although, actually, even that's a pretty technical term if you think of it) must be the way to go.
  • I doubt that anyone disagrees that it would be nice that there would be an easy to use user interface for editing CSL styles. The problem is CSL is quite complex making an easy to use editor difficult and time consuming to program. Since the CSL project has only limited number of programmers, they have just not had the time to do it.

While we are waiting for an easy to use editor, the best option is just to post your problem here at the forums and it is likely that someone will point out where to edit the style file.
  • @Robaki,
    CSL may well be easier than its competitors
    That pretty well says it. Styles are complex, and whatever your favored flavor of interface might be, any tool that controls them programmatically will take some learning. If three hours is too much to tolerate, you're probably better off either relying on pre-spun styles, or hiring a style designer.
  • edited December 20, 2011
    but I think you're still slightly detached from the real world.
    Thanks for the kind words. It's moments like these that make our volunteer work worth all the effort.

In response to your question: we're more than aware that learning how to edit CSL styles currently requires some effort and computer-literacy, but there are some features of CSL that make writing a simple-to-use style editor non-trivial. Some people have tried, but it's all too easy to end up with a style editor that's just as complicated to use as when you hand edit the XML code with a text editor.
  • but it's all too easy to end up with a style editor that's just as complicated to use as when you hand edit the XML code with a text editor.
    and, to make things worse, produces code that on the one hand does end up needing some finishing touches by hand and on the other hand is so sonvoluted that these finishing touches are a nightmare to add.

To give you a sense of the difficulties - Mendeley, a well (venture capital) funded London-based start-up began development on an online style editor for CSL more than 2 years ago and it's still not released into the public.

Otherwise, what the others say - if you have a specific question about editing a style just ask it and you'll likely get a quick answer.
  • "It's moments like these that makes our volunteer work worth all the effort."

sorry - on re-reading my comment, it does sound rude! Your volunteering is actually much appreciated.

I did manage to change the code in the end, but then couldn't work out how to load my new style into Zotero. I saved my notepad file as .csl and then tried to drag it into Firefox, as instructed, but nothing happened.

I can see that turning the whole style editor into something simple, foolproof and intuitive would require an enormous about of work. But all I wanted to do was change a comma into a colon. Just feels like there must be an easier way of making minor changes without having to learn how to be a computer coder first!
    unfortunately, any style editor able to make small changes would have to be able to fully understand and work with CSL code - there are various ways to add, say, a comma/colon (as you may have noticed), for example. If a style editor could do small changes it could do larger ones, too.

As for getting your file back into Zotero - what _exactly_ happens? Also, try through the style manager - that might give you a more helpful error message - this should be an easy fix.

edit: the style manager is under preferences/styles or preferences/cite depending on your Zotero version.
  • I tried to do it through the style manager.

I changed the code in Notepad, and saved the document as "Rob.csl"

I then clicked on "+" in Style Manager and located the file.

Then a window popped up saying:

"Install style "" from Rob.csl?"

(along with the options to 'Install' or 'Cancel')

I clicked on 'Install' and there was a faint whirring, but then there was no sign of my new style appearing on the list.

I think I failed to do something crucial and probably obvious.
  • ah yes - it looks like you may have removed the title (and/or the id) from the style. Towards the top of the style you have two lines that looks like this (example from ASQ)
    <title>Administrative Science Quaterly</title>
    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/administrative-science-quaterly</id>;

Every style _must_ have these two lines and each of these lines _must_ contain something. I.e. in your case this could be:
    <title>Rob's Style</title>
    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/robs-style</id>;

(note that it doesn't matter whether the URI in the <id> field actually exists on the web).
  • Quite agree that some kind of visual editor would be helpful to users.

That said, I have collected some tips on the simple kinds of edits that you often find yourself wanting to make on my blog — simple citation style edits, along with a brief explanation. It should take you a lot less than three hours to make simple changes like that.
  • ah - I had forgotten about Mark's tutorial - going through some of the most common changes is indeed useful. We should probably put up something similar on zotero and link to it from the step by step guide - until someone finds the time, we could just link to mark.
    Actually, to put a fine point on this conversation:
    The problem is CSL is quite complex making an easy to use editor difficult and time consuming to program.
    Actually, real world citation styling is complex.

The complexity of CSL is just a side-effect of that.
  • for those who read French, this tutorial/collection of hints is useful http://www.thomaslienhard.fr/TutorielZotero.html . Some of the information dates from before the current version of zotero and csl, but most is still applicable.
  • Thanks to you all - still nothing happens. All is fine on the reference test pane, and it has title, ID etc. But I can't find a way to move it into Zotero - dragging it across into Firefox just opens a new blank tab. Trying to do it through style manager has no effect (as described above).

So I give up at this stage; I'll just have to edit all my references manually.
  • You are too close to give up. Please share the file here (e.g. via pastebin), I want to see if it works on my end, and if it does, I'm going to tell you the exact steps I took to install it.
  • Well - if you want to have a go, that would be excellent. Here it is:

http://pastebin.com/J32fSTym
  • That's the stuff.

There are two problems. One is this:&lt;text variable="URL" prefix="&lt;" suffix="&gt;"/&gt;which should be written like this:&lt;text variable="URL" prefix="&amp;lt;" suffix="&amp;gt;"/>
    The other is the first line:<style class="in-text"
    version="1.0"
    demote-non-dropping-particle="sort-only">
    which should have a namespace declaration, like this:<style class="in-text"
    xmlns="http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl";
    version="1.0"
    demote-non-dropping-particle="sort-only">

If you make those two changes, the style is valid and should load fine.
  • And...it works! All best wishes to you all for 2012.
  • edited December 22, 2011
    This does indicate that it would be helpful if Zotero threw an error if a particular style failed to validate, instead of failing silently. Added to the papercuts thread.
  • edited December 31, 2011
    I had a post here about how grateful I am for Zotero, and about how this conversation revealed a bit of a divergence between how endusers approach this kind of issue compared with developers. I've deleted it.

Bruce writes that "As fbennett suggests, if you really care about this, try to follow development of the CSL editor. This will be the GUI everybody's been waiting for."

That's great, we look forward to it, best wishes for success and speedy development of this kind of an interface.
    J
  • WE are waiting for an IDE with a GUI for CSL
    This editor will be a great improvement
    Do you know any expected time to get such an editor lunched for users ?
    thanks
  • edited March 14, 2012
    A style editor is being developed:
    http://csleditor.wordpress.com/
    That's a hard task which, I think, won't be completed within the next six months.
  • Any word on when it might be possible for non-programmer types to create or edit styles? Is the CSL editor being actively developed?