Errors exporting items to Bibtex with :export files" checked

Sent a debug ID to server: D1475677103

Using version 3.0b2 through firefox browser on a WindowsXP

I am trying to start using the program Qiqqa. I have a large zotero database (hundreds if not 1000 items).

Qiqqa supports importing from zotero--it instructs users to export zotero items as bibtext with "export files" checked.

Within zotero I navigated to 10 items to try exporting. Each has an "attach link to file" where the file is stored on an external hard drive (which is connected). After playing with this for a while I changed a few to be "attach stored copy of file." I've tested these and each item is opening the associated pdf both in the firefox browser and when using zotero standalone.

I have successfully exported just the bibtex information and imported into qiqqa. The problem comes when I try to include the files--zotero always reports an error about the export. It creates a folder with a .bib file inside.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
  • I am running Zotero 2.1.10.

This bug has been discussed for nearly 2 years now, and regards the Bibtex export. See:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/10825/export-to-bibtex-including-attachment-file-information/
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/17847/improving-bibtex-export/

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like anyone who is in a position to affect Zotero's main distributions is willing to implement the discussed fixes.

Here's another way of expressing the problem: the only way to get the "file = [path]" line to appear in the Bibtex export is to choose the "Export Files" option. Even then, the path included is 1) truncated and 2) points to the exported file, not to the file that you intended to link to. Here's an example:

@article{ferguson_diglossia_1959,
    title = {Diglossia},
    volume = {15},
    journal = {Word},
    author = {Ferguson, Charles},
    year = {1959},
    keywords = {{!Electronic}, sociolinguistics},
    pages = {325--340},
    file = {Ferguson 1959 Diglossia.pdf:files/421/Ferguson 1959 Diglossia.pdf:application/pdf}
    }

If it were a complete link (to the newly-created file) it would be something like:
    file = {C:\Users\Karl\Desktop\Test export\files\421\Ferguson 1959 Diglossia.pdf}

If it were pointing to the link that exists in Zotero (this is what should happen) it would be something like:
    file = {D:\Users\Karl\My Documents\Academic\Academic papers\Ferguson 1959 Diglossia.pdf}

Now if you *don't* choose the "File Export" option (because you don't want to create a second copy of your file), the "file = ..." line does not appear in the Bibtex export at all, even when you have linked to a file in Zotero.

The above-referenced threads give "patches" but no step-by-step instructions how to apply them, even if they still work under the latest versions of Zotero. What should happen is these bug fixes get incorporated into the core distribution of Zotero.
  • I do not consider either of those aspects of the exporter to be bugs. They don't seem to be the problem that lukener has. You wish there to be additional functionality (to link to files that are in the zotero storage directory without exporting copies of those files). But the current behavior of only having links when you do copy files is consistent with the other translators that generate files. As is the use of relative links (which other BibTeX programs also do).