Zotero plugin for Microsoft Word on Mac

Every time I start Firefox, a message keeps coming up saying "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that Microsoft Word is closed and then restart Firefox." Yet the plugin does appear to be working when I try to insert a citation or bibliography in a Microsoft Word document. Is there any way you can assist me in getting this error message to not appear while also ensuring that the Zotero plugin still works?

Thank you!

Error ID: 2066298331
  • You don't have permissions to modify files within Documents/Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items/Zotero, so the plugin can't update itself. You can try moving this directory to the trash and restarting Firefox to see if the installation completes successfully. If that doesn't work, navigate to Documents/Microsoft User Data, select Word Script Menu Items, go to File->Get Info, and make sure you have read and write permissions under "Sharing & Permissions" at the bottom of the window.
  • Excellent! The first part of your suggestion did in fact work - I deleted the folder from the Word Script Items/Zotero folder, and now it works just fine.

Thank you so much for your help! I greatly appreciate it.
  • I am getting the same error message, but tossing out the Zotero folder in MUD/Word Script Menu Items didn't help. And I checked the permissions before tossing it, and they were already "read & write." This has been happening for me with Firefox 8.0.1 and Zotero 2.1.10 in both 10.6.8 and after upgrading to 10.7.2. All with Office 2011.

Would be grateful for any other suggestions or fixes.

Thanks.

Error ID: 1057627475
  • sdedalus1, I don't see any relevant errors in that report. Try generating another report ID immediately after re-triggering the error by reinstalling from the preferences.
  • How about 1249345907.

For the record, when I went to Firefox > Add Ons > Zotero Word for Mac Integration 3.1.9 > Preferences, it said Word for Mac add-on is not currently installed, and the button read "Install Add-in" (vs. the instruction you linked, which mention "re-install.") Clicking the install button then generated the error.

Thanks.
  • Ah, followed the link about installing Zotero Word Add-on, saw the bit about PythonExt and then checked to make sure I had the PythonExt add-on. I did, but it was disabled. Re-enabling it and restarting Firefox has now installed the add-on and gotten rid of the error.

I can only think that PythonExt must have been disabled after upgrading Firefox sometime recently...

Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.