LibreOffice problems in debian

Hi all

I've been using Zotero for a few months ago and had never experienced any problems. But today when trying to add a quote I came across the following error message:

An error occurred Communicating with Zotero:

java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect at (Native Method)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect at (PlainSocketImpl.java: 351)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress at (PlainSocketImpl.java: 213)
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect at (PlainSocketImpl.java: 200)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect (SocksSocketImpl.java: 366)
at java.net.Socket.connect (Socket.java: 529)
at java.net.Socket.connect (Socket.java: 478)
at java.net.Socket. <init> (Socket.java: 375)
at java.net.Socket. <init> (Socket.java: 189)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.Comm.run (Comm.java: 272)
at java.lang.Thread.run (Thread.java: 662)

This error is similar to that reported by Charpente http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/17036/, but failed to fix it.

I'm using Debian Testing, LibreOffice 3.3.3, Zotero 2.1.10, OpenOffice integration Zotero 3.5b1, iceweasel 5.0 with Java (TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_26 and Sun Java 6.

I have an additional question. How do I configure additional preferences integration OpenOffice 3.5b1? I make right click in preferences and leads me to the Zotero preferences, but not the plugin integration can select the directory where the Java runtime environment.

Any idea how to solve the problem?
Thanks for your help.
  • Either you are firewalling 127.0.0.1, which seems unlikely, or it is almost certainly the same bug reported by Charpente. I'm afraid I can't help you beyond suggesting that you try IcedTea instead of Sun Java, or disable IPv6. Zotero OpenOffice Integration does not require paths to be specified manually since 3.5.
  • Hi Simon, thank you for your answer.

I finally solved the problem by disabling IPv6 and uninstalling sun-java without installing IcedTea. By the time it works, I hope not cause major problems in the future.

Thank you very much for your help Simon. Wonderful!
  • Aaargh ! I have now been bitten by the *same* bug *TWICE* ! A very recent change in the Debian wheezy distribution just hosed my Openoffice/Libreoffice integration.

This change cannot have happened earlier than 2 or 3 days ago. It specifically disables communication between the LibreOffice integration tool and Zotero/Zotero Standalone, with the same symptoms as before : "Network unreachable".

Curiously, the Zotero connector for Chrome (chromium, in my case), still works fine.

The only workaround I could think of (disabling IPv6) has very little appeal : it seems o to be sufficient to disable it centrally, yoyu should also configure any application susceptible toIPV6 use (among them exim and ssh). Yeargh...

Furthermore, the change introduced a problem with update-java-alternatives, tha makes it *fail* whatever the java instllation one whishes to pick... (bug already reported against Debian's java-common package)..

Any hint ?

Emmanuel Charpentier
  • I found a way to fix this specific problem : manually configure the use of the openjdk in the "Tools->Preferences->General->Java" menu.

This still does not solves the systemwide java configuration problem, though...

HTH,

Emmanuel Charpentier