Importing doesn't work as expected

Hi,

I'm new with Zotero (thx for your product :-), and because I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 11.10) and I'm used to Chromium (14.0), I choosed the Standalone (3.0Beta2.1) with the Zotero Connector (2.999.1) for Google Chrome (It seemed to install good in Chromium). So much about my specs.

Now the problem:
When I browse my OPAC, with the Standalone Zotero running in the background, and click on the "Export for Zotero"-Button in the OPAC, a File xyz.ris is downloaded. Then I can go to Zotero Standalone and import this file (only as a new collection!) to see the Book.
But what is the Zotero Connector for? I thought it would connect Zotero and Chromium directly, so i don't have to save and import the file. Is this correct or do I miss something here?

PS: The Chromium Connector in Chromium tells me, that it IS connected to the standalone app...

Thanks & Cheers,
Atreiju.
  • But what is the Zotero Connector for?
    The Connectors add a save button to the other browsers, equivalent to the address bar icon with Zotero for Firefox. Look for it in the address bar in Chrome.

The "Export for Zotero" button on the site has nothing to do with Zotero itself—it just serves a RIS file in a particular way, which Zotero for Firefox can detect and import automatically. The Connectors don't provide that functionality.
  • Thanks for you answer! It explains the thing with the RIS files.

But sadly, I can't see any Zotero-Icon in the address bar (or somewhere else), while I'm visiting my librarys OPAC.

Does it depend on the OPAC?

My librarys OPAC is aDIS (by astech), a very popular OPAC-Software in Germany:
    https://bsz.ibs-bw.de/aDISWeb/app?service=direct/0/Home/$DirectLink&sp=S127.0.0.1:23212
  • yes, it does depend on the OPAC, no, Zotero doesn't work with astec/aDIS.

Generally it doesn't look like this would be easy to do - RIS doesn't appear to be a standard feature of aDIS, it's just something your library supplies. I don't see any way to get to get to a MARC display, either, so there is no easy way for Zotero to get to the data.

aDIS _does_ supply COinS data, which Zotero recognizes and imports automatically (I'm actually surprised it doesn't in the connector), but the data is of poor quality and, notably, doesn't include authors - might be worth bringing up with a librarian.

It would likely be possible to write a translator for your library specifically with reasonable effort, but I doubt anyone of the usual suspects would be inclined to do that.