SCOPUS

Scopus was working for me last month, but now isn't working today.

The icon appears in the location bar, but when selected I get an error saying

"could not save item

an error occurred when saving this item."

My guess is something has changed and is confusing the translator...
  • scopus hasn't worked forever - if it did work last month that was probably a fluke, maybe picking up a doi on the page or so.
  • I can make an RIS file and import from the clipboard
  • that's a shame, their citation finder is pretty sweet. You find a paper and it shows everyone who has ever cited it...

web of science can do that also, but it often misses a few articles.
  • edited June 4, 2011
    Scopus just isn't very popular in the US (I think - I've been at two top 30 private Universities w/o access and the UC system doesn't appear to subscribe either) and the people who contribute/fix translators don't have access. Scopus itself doesn't appear interested in providing a translator themselves so far (like EBSCO and Wilson have) but it's always work bugging them about it, the more often they hear it the better:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/exposing_metadata

edit: for the cited by feature google scholar is getting better and better - it's not quite at WoS levels, but my bet would be that in a couple of years they will be.
  • nice, thanks. I'll email Scopus and complain, I mean, ask nicely. Let's be honest, Zotero is kind of a big deal. :-)
  • I requested that Scopus provide a translator and they said that they will forward the request to their developers. They also referred me to workarounds published in this forum.

That was a couple of months ago.
  • Here is the code from the current translator. Anything look amiss?
    [code]
    {
    "translatorID":"a14ac3eb-64a0-4179-970c-92ecc2fec992",
    "translatorType":4,
    "label":"Scopus",
    "creator":"Michael Berkowitz and Rintze Zelle",
    "target":"http://[^/]*www.scopus.com[^/]*",
    "minVersion":"1.0.0b4.r5",
    "maxVersion":"",
    "priority":100,
    "inRepository":true,
    "lastUpdated":"2009-06-04 00:00:00"
    }

function detectWeb(doc, url) {
    if (url.indexOf("/results/") != -1) {
    return "multiple";
    } else if (url.indexOf("/record/") != -1) {
    return "journalArticle";
    }
    }

function getEID(url) {
    return url.match(/eid=([^&]+)/)[1];
    }

function returnURL(eid) {
    return 'http://www.scopus.com/scopus/citation/output.url?origin=recordpage&eid=' + eid + '&src=s&view=CiteAbsKeywsRefs';
    }

function doWeb(doc, url) {
    var namespace = doc.documentElement.namespaceURI;
    var nsResolver = namespace ? function(prefix) {
    if (prefix == 'x') return namespace; else return null;
    } : null;

var articles = new Array();
    if (detectWeb(doc, url) == "multiple") {
    items = new Object();
    var boxes = doc.evaluate('//table/tbody/tr[@class]/td[@class="fldtextPad"][1]', doc, nsResolver, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null);
    var box;
    while (box = boxes.iterateNext()) {
    var title = Zotero.Utilities.trimInternal(doc.evaluate('.//span[@class="txtBoldOnly"]', box, nsResolver, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null).iterateNext().textContent);
    var link = doc.evaluate('.//a[@class="outwardLink"]', box, nsResolver, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null).iterateNext().href;
    items[link] = title;
    }
    items = Zotero.selectItems(items);
    for (var i in items) {
    articles.push(returnURL(getEID(i)));
    }
    } else {
    articles = [returnURL(getEID(url))];
    }
    Zotero.Utilities.processDocuments(articles, function(newDoc) {
    var eid = getEID(newDoc.location.href);
    var stateKey = newDoc.evaluate('//input[@name="stateKey"]', newDoc, nsResolver, XPathResult.ANY_TYPE, null).iterateNext().value;
    var get = 'http://www.scopus.com/scopus/citation/export.url';
    var post = 'origin=recordpage&sid=&src=s&stateKey=' + stateKey + '&eid=' + eid + '&sort=&exportFormat=RIS&view=CiteAbsKeyws&selectedCitationInformationItemsAll=on';
    var rislink = get + "?" + post;
    Zotero.Utilities.HTTP.doGet(rislink, function(text) {
    // load translator for RIS
    var translator = Zotero.loadTranslator("import");
    translator.setTranslator("32d59d2d-b65a-4da4-b0a3-bdd3cfb979e7");
    translator.setString(text);
    translator.setHandler("itemDone", function(obj, item) {
    if (item.notes[0]['note']) {
    item.abstractNote = item.notes[0]['note'];
    item.notes = new Array();
    item.complete();
    }
    });
    translator.translate();
    });
    }, function() {Zotero.done();});
    Zotero.wait();
    }
    [\code]
  • I can see the translator-- the problem is just that something has changed in the structure of Scopus's site, and I don't have access to it, so I can't make changes in the translator to match.
  • I know, but I was just giving the topic a bump, and someone else might be motivated by the sight of the code to delve into it. I can arrange access if you have the time.
  • Email sent.
  • Please go to http://github.com/ajlyon/translators/raw/master/Scopus.js and save the file to the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data).

It should start working again. If this works for you, please post here so that I can submit this change to be pushed to all users.

It may still be necessary to do some more post-processing to account for problems with the RIS export from Scopus-- let me know of any consistent data issues you encounter.

This version also uses something of a crude hack to work with proxies, since it constructs its URLs in a way that Zotero's proxy system apparently doesn't catch. If you run into any problems accessing Scopus through a proxy, let me know. EZProxy should work-- others might not.
  • I've made some more changes, and this is ready to go. Install as described above, test, and let me know how it goes. Note that if you use a proxy, you will need to set it up properly in the Zotero preferences for the translator to work properly with Scopus.
  • Scopus does not seem to be working again.

I filed an error report. ID = 255191552
  • Did it work for you in the past?

Dan: Can you post the relevant portion of Carl's error report?
  • text must be a string in Zotero.Item.setNote() (was undefined)
  • Please go to http://github.com/ajlyon/translators/raw/master/Scopus.js and save the file to the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data).

It should start working again. If this works for you, please post here so that I can submit this change to be pushed to all users.
  • Yes, that works. Thank you very much!
  • Great! I'll push it out shortly.
  • Many thanks for the job on the Scopus translator. It is really useful for Scopus users, even if we seen to be few !

I tested it yesterday and today with several references and I noticed that 2 importants fields are imported : DOI and URL.
    Do you think it could be improve soon ?

Cheers
    Sophie
  • Sorry :
    2 importants fields are NOT imported : DOI and URL.
  • I don't have Scopus access here, but it seems that the DOI isn't being included in the RIS output. Try exporting a reference for an item with DOI in RIS, and post the record here-- I'll see why Zotero isn't getting it.
  • If anybody contacts Scopus re Zotero translators, please also complain about their ridiculous handling of PDFs. They require users to download a Java applet to even read PDFs, and it seems this is the reason that the Z translator is not fetching the PDFs. (I have complained already.)
  • When you export from Scopus, you need to choose :
    - the format : text, csv, RIS, Bibtex, Refworks
    - the output : citations only, abstract, abstract with references, complete format, specified fields to be exported.

DOI is available only in "complete format" and "specified fields to be exported" output.
    URL is available in all outputs.

Exemple of export in RIS format, citation only :
    TY - JOUR
    T1 - Projecting demand and supply of forest biomass for heating in Norway
    JF - Energy Policy
    VL - 39
    IS - 11
    SP - 7049
    EP - 7058
    PY - 2011///
    AU - Trømborg, E.
    AU - Havskjold, M.
    AU - Lislebø, O.
    AU - Rørstad, P.K.
    AD - Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Department of Ecology and Natural Resource Management, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, Norway
    AD - Xrgia as, P.O. Box 329, NO-1301, Sandvika, Norway
    AB - This paper assesses the increase in demand and supply for forest biomass for heating in Norway in 2020. By then there is a political aim to double the national production of bioenergy from the level in 2008. The competitiveness of woody biomass in central and district heating is analyzed in a model selecting the least-cost heating technology and scale in municipalities given a set of constraints and under different fuels price scenarios. The supply of forest biomass from roundwood is estimated based on data of forest inventories combined with elasticities regarding price and standing volumes. The supply of biomass from harvesting residues is estimated in an engineering approach based on data from the national forest inventories and roundwood harvest. The results show how the production of bioenergy is affected by changes in energy prices and support schemes for bioenergy. One conclusion from the analyses is that the government target of 14. TWh more bioenergy by 2020 is not likely to be met by current technologies and policy incentives. The contribution of the analysis is the detailed presentation of the heat market potentials and technology choices combined with supply functions for both roundwood and harvesting residues. © 2011 Elsevier Ltd.
    KW - Biomass demand
    KW - Biomass supply
    KW - Renewable energy
    N1 - Export Date: 30 November 2011
    N1 - Source: Scopus
    UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-80054848151&partnerID=40&md5=b352887fb282a83a5408f15b33b59379
    ER -

Exemple of export in RIS format, complete format :
    TY - JOUR
    T1 - Projecting demand and supply of forest biomass for heating in Norway
    JF - Energy Policy
    JA - Energy Policy
    VL - 39
    IS - 11
    SP - 7049
    EP - 7058
    PY - 2011///
    SN - 03014215 (ISSN)
    AU - Trømborg, E.
    AU - Havskjold, M.
    AU - Lislebø, O.
    AU - Rørstad, P.K.
    AD - Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Department of Ecology and Natural Resource Management, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, Norway
    AD - Xrgia as, P.O. Box 329, NO-1301, Sandvika, Norway
    AB - This paper assesses the increase in demand and supply for forest biomass for heating in Norway in 2020. By then there is a political aim to double the national production of bioenergy from the level in 2008. The competitiveness of woody biomass in central and district heating is analyzed in a model selecting the least-cost heating technology and scale in municipalities given a set of constraints and under different fuels price scenarios. The supply of forest biomass from roundwood is estimated based on data of forest inventories combined with elasticities regarding price and standing volumes. The supply of biomass from harvesting residues is estimated in an engineering approach based on data from the national forest inventories and roundwood harvest. The results show how the production of bioenergy is affected by changes in energy prices and support schemes for bioenergy. One conclusion from the analyses is that the government target of 14. TWh more bioenergy by 2020 is not likely to be met by current technologies and policy incentives. The contribution of the analysis is the detailed presentation of the heat market potentials and technology choices combined with supply functions for both roundwood and harvesting residues. © 2011 Elsevier Ltd.
    KW - Biomass demand
    KW - Biomass supply
    KW - Renewable energy
    KW - Bio-energy
    KW - Biomass supply
    KW - Current technology
    KW - Demand and supply
    KW - Energy prices
    KW - Forest biomass
    KW - Forest inventory
    KW - Fuels prices
    KW - Heat market
    KW - Heating technology
    KW - National forest inventories
    KW - Renewable energies
    KW - Roundwoods
    KW - Supply function
    KW - Technology choices
    KW - Woody biomass
    KW - Competition
    KW - Costs
    KW - Elasticity
    KW - Forestry
    KW - Harvesting
    KW - Heating
    KW - Biomass
    KW - bioenergy
    KW - biomass burning
    KW - biomass power
    KW - competition (economics)
    KW - heating
    KW - numerical model
    KW - renewable resource
    KW - Norway
    N1 - Export Date: 30 November 2011
    N1 - Source: Scopus
    N1 - CODEN: ENPYA
    N1 - doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2011.08.009
    N1 - Language of Original Document: English
    N1 - Correspondence Address: Trømborg, E.; Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Department of Ecology and Natural Resource Management, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, Norway; email: erik.tromborg@umb.no
    N1 - References: Bernhard, P., Bugge, L., Biomasse - nok til alle gode formål? (Biomass - Enough for All Good Purposes?). Report Commissioned by the Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate. KanEnergi, Oslo (In Norwegian) (2007)Bolkesjø, T.F., Baardsen, S., Roundwood supply in Norway: micro-level analysis of self-employed forest owners (2002) Forest Policy and Economics, 4, pp. 55-64;
    Vennesland, B., Hobbelstad, K., Bolkesjø, T.F., Baardsen, S., Lileng, J., Rolstad, J., Skogressursene i Norge 2006. Muligheter og aktuelle strategier for økt avvirkning (Forest Resources in Norway. Possibilities and Feasible Strategies for Increased Harvest) (2006), http://www.skogoglandskap.no/publikasjon/SF_3945_3478, Viten fra Skog og landskap - 03/2006. Available from:Xrgia, (2009), http://www.xrgia.no/Publikasjoner/Potensialstudie%20fjernvarme.pdf, Fornybar varme 2020. Potensialstudie og analyse av framtidig utbygging av fjernvarme og lokale varmesentraler (Renewable Heat 2020. Potentials and Analysis of Future Expansion of District Heating and Local Heating Centrals). Report for ENOVA. Available from:UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-80054848151&partnerID=40&md5=b352887fb282a83a5408f15b33b59379
    ER -

If it is useful for you to have an access to Scopus, I can create a temporary account.
  • No need for access at this point-- the problem with DOIs is that they're using the general notes (N1) field for the DOI, while the RIS spec suggests M3, and many other programs use DO. We could program in a work-around, but Scopus should fix this on their end.
  • Scopus is now working, thanks to finally getting hold of someone at Elsevier (via a librarian of a library using Scopus). DOIs should work, too

The translator fix is now up. Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences.

Any problems let us know.