Firefox cannot modify the needed file

I am unable to install Zotero on Firefox 5 because "Firefox cannot modify the needed file". What does this mean?
  • never seen that before. When exactly do you get that message and is that the full text?
    What operating system?
  • In the end, I had to individually erase the old Zotero files and then re-install. For some reason the old version of Zotero was not uninstalling properly?
  • I am having a similar problem installing Zotero on a Mac as a network user (with my home directory mounted from NFS). I can install is as a local user just fine, but in my network user account, I have two different things happen if I try repeatedly to install Zotero:

1) Sometimes it downloads the plugin, says Firefox needs to restart, restarts fine, but Zotero is not installed (no error messages, so sign of it under Tools > Add-Ons, etc.)

2) Other times, I get the same error message described above "Firefox cannot modify the needed file".

Any ideas?
  • This sounds like a Firefox issue, not a Zotero one.
  • I'm having the basic issue that every time I attempt to install Zotero (whether I'm downloading Zotero from the zotero.org site or the firefox plugins site), when I open the program in my Firefox browser (running Lion on a Mac), I get the error "Zoterno could notbe installed because Firefox cannot modify the needed file". Any idea if there is anything I can do about this?
  • Ask Mozilla.
  • Ask Mozilla doesn't work either, they say it's a Zotero problem - I'm giving up on it & going with Mendeley, too bad as it looks like the Zotero features are better.
  • where's the thread on that on the mozilla forum?
  • Have you tried creating a new Firefox profile?

(Also, yes, cgacrew02, where is the thread where they told you that? None of the ones I see, including the two you started, have any responses.)
  • And, finally, if you're not set on FF you could use Zotero standalone and Chrome or Safari connector.
  • Thank you Adam, I've got the standalone installed but haven't figured out the handshake with my browser yet.

Dan, I'll try the new profile option again today - I've deleted all Zotero files and right now only have the standalone installed.
  • I found a solution for this because I had the same problem. It is a work-around. I am using Firefox 8.0
    1. Use your IE browser and save the add-on to a location on your HDD. http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation
    2. Go to where you saved the add-on and then right-click and open...it will ask you for an application to open it...browse to where your FireFox.exe located and it should install successfully.
    3. Open your MS Word, click on the Add-In ribbon of MS Word 2007, and it will be there.

Hope this helps!
    Brad
  • Ibrad - are you running mac?
  • no he's not - there is no Mac Word 2007.
  • Thanks Adam - I know IE for Mac stopped being supported years ago, wasn't sure if I should try download the old version which is still available and try and force zotero in.
  • you could try the same thing with Safari instead of IE - I have no insight if this has much of a chance of working, but since it takes only a couple of minutes it may be worth a try.
  • >>>Ibrad - are you running mac?
    ========
    Adam is correct. I'm running W7. Interestingly enough, I had another issue with Zotero using Firefox 8.0 Browser and MS Word 2007 and them not communicating with each other due to Zone Alarm Firewall 10.0.241.000 activated. I haven't yet narrowed down the exact setting. Too much homework to do to worry about it right now. I'll post in the right forum discussion when I figure it out.
    Cheers, Brad
  • Thanks Brad - Adam, I tried with Safari as well, no go.