"reverse" library population

Is it in any way possible for zotero to use zotero cites (in a word doc, for instance) to populate a library? In other words, when I create a document with citations using one zotero library on one machine, take that document to a second machine with zotero (but with a different library), I get messages like "this citation no longer exists." Could zotero be configured to use the data in the citation to create an entry in the library on the second machine? This would be a roundabout way of importing library entries, but only with the entries used in a particular document. I hope this isn't too obtuse....
  • This isn't possible currently, but it's definitely planned.

For the moment, you need to copy your Zotero data directory between the two machines (or keep your Zotero data (or Firefox itself, with Portable Firefox) on a USB drive).
  • Hi, That was a long time ago -- is it now possible? I've been searching the archives and cannot figure out if it is.

Thanks.
  • not quite, but starting with Zotero 3.0b (which is available for download and quite stable), citation data is embedded in documents.
    That means the type of errors the OP describes won't occur anymore - getting citation information back into Zotero hasn't been implemented yet, but isn't terribly far of.
  • Very cool. This will be a big hit for me and my pals.