Zotero and Firefox 3 beta 2

I would like to determine the status of zotero with respect to the firefox 3 beta 2 version. When I install zotero v1.0.1 Firefox responds that it is an incompatible plug in. Could someone please enlighten me?
  • I would be interested to know if the developers have been working with any of the new Betas. In particular, I wonder if any of the database performance enhancements that were were hoping to get with Zotero+Firefox 3 now look likely.
  • We have been working with Firefox 3 since its early Gran Paradiso alpha builds, and we will support Firefox 3 when it is released.
  • edited December 20, 2007
    What about the SVN version--is it meant for Firefox 2 or 3?

http://dev.zotero.org/svn_and_trac_access#svn_access

If that's for firefox 2, where is the firefox 3 version (and does it have hierarchical item types yet)?
  • What about the SVN version--is it meant for Firefox 2 or 3?
    The 1.0 branch is for Firefox 2. The trunk will be for Firefox 3 and already contains a few compatibility fixes, but there are still some issues in FF3, and it won't always have all the latest changes from the branch at any given moment. As development progresses over the next few months, the trunk may be far less stable than the branch (and the DB schema will definitely become incompatible).
    (and does it have hierarchical item types yet)?
    I don't expect that we'll implement hierarchical item types before switching to a new data model based on the Bibliontology spec that Bruce and others have been working on (though Bruce would have to comment more on the status of that).
  • Is there any chance there's a quick hack to make Zotero 1.x work with FF3? I looked briefly at the list of changes and it didn't look like there was a raft of backwards incompatible changes (although I could be wrong!)...

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Updating_extensions_for_Firefox_3

cheers
  • You can install Zotero 1.0.x on FF3 the same way you can install any Firefox extension install on any version of Firefox: by using the Nightly Tester Tools extension or manually overriding the install manifest version compatibility settings. But some things won't work right, and there's no quick hack for that.
  • Anyone tried it out with beta3? I like beta3 more then ff2, and I am almost always running b3.
  • I'm stuck on Firefox 3 beta 3 at the moment, since Ubuntu Hardy recently dropped Firefox 2. After using the Nightly Tester Tools extension (http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/nightly, thanks Dan) to install Zotero 1.0.3, I can report that it mostly works. Data operations in particular seem to work perfectly.

The problems are related to display, particularly the right pane (bibliographic info, notes, etc.). When I select an attached file, note, or link, the right panel appears about twice as wide as it ought to. Only half the material is visible; the rest is cut off. Same for the pop-up note-editing windows.

Worse, when I select a main item record, the right pane doesn't update at all, continuing to display whatever was selected previously. So there's no way to edit the actual bibliographic information that will appear in citations.

So... (gulp) what is the status of Zotero 1.5? Firefox 3 is near release (it's planned to be the Ubuntu default in just over a month), but Zotero 1.5 has virtually no presence on the forums or the mailing list, except a few curt replies telling users that "we will support Firefox 3 when it's released."

If a beta version of 1.5 is too far away, is there any chance some of the FF3 compatibility fixes could be merged back into the 1.0 branch? I know there are some huge changes planned for 1.5, but support for FF3 seems like one of the easier parts of the project (if not the most interesting). I know only the most basic Javascript, but I'll read the developer documentation and try to help out as I can.
  • Pretty much all of those display issues with FF3 have been fixed on the Zotero trunk. We're planning to backport those fixes to the 1.0 branch in time for FF3's release, but it hasn't happened yet.

There's currently an autocomplete bug in Firefox 3 that can break pretty much everything when you try to edit a field in Zotero's metadata pane. We've reported this to Mozilla and are waiting to see what happens with that.
  • Thanks so much for the quick reply! That's reassuring, and I hope the autocomplete thing gets sorted soon.

I'll check out the trunk version -- and tread lightly when editing metadata.
  • edited February 20, 2008
    I don't expect that we'll implement hierarchical item types before switching to a new data model based on the Bibliontology spec that Bruce and others have been working on (though Bruce would have to comment more on the status of that).
    Fred said he'd find time later this week to push out a draft.
  • Hmm. The display issues persist on the latest development XPI (1.0.3.r2323) with Firefox Beta 3 (Build 2008021416). This is starting to sound like an issue better addressed on Trac or on the mailing list.
  • That's the 1.0 branch, not the trunk. Trunk is zotero-trunk.xpi.
  • Oh... right. And sure enough, the display issues are fixed. Clearly, I'm going to be a LOT of help. :)

Thanks!
  • Do I need to do anything to my library that is now in Firefox2 to make sure it will transfer correctly to FF3? I will back it up of course, but just wanted to know if there is something I will need to do to make sure it transfers the information to the newer version.
  • Do I need to do anything to my library that is now in Firefox2 to make sure it will transfer correctly to FF3?
    Nope. Zotero will handle any data migration automatically.

Closing this thread. See my notes on testing with Firefox 3 for more info.
This discussion has been closed.