TypeError: This parameter must be a string or Unicode object

My Report ID is 971966453.

I have a MacBook Pro, and I am running Zotero Standalone Version 3.0b2.1 and Word 2011.

I received a message in my standalone that said there is a new update, so I updated to it (even though I thought it was the same version I was running). After install, my word add-in receives a message saying, "Zotero experienced an error updating your document TypeError: This parameter must be a string or Unicode object."

I have tried reinstalling the add-in and restarting both word and zotero several times to no avail.

Any suggestions/solutions?
  • I get the message any time I try to add a citation, bibliography, or refresh the zotero imports in word.
  • I have since attempted to use the firefox Zotero (with the standalone closed). I received a message saying that there was an error when attempting to update the document.

The report ID for this one is: 1001767325
  • which style are you using?
  • I am not entirely sure, but I think the problems may have been related to an error in the document... I was working on this particular document when the standalone gave me the original update message.

I just went through and deleted all past citations/bibliography, and now the document/standalone/word/firefox seem to be in working order.
  • I have had the same error message and was able to trace it down to rogue field code that seems to have left behind by a conversion associated with a zotero update (hard to say which one though since this document I am now working on consists of text from various other documents including their zotero codes since 2007, so pretty much all zotero updates since then are possible culprits but given that in one instance offending code was present in text written this summer, it was probably associated with the conversion to Standalone)

I have collected a few samples of such code and could offer it for troubleshooting. Also, in this context, it would have been a MASSIVE help if the zotero debugging log would output the citationID at each step when updating the library. It did tell me the itemKey of the offending item, but since one of the issues was with a reference that I cite over 50 times I had a VERY frustrating needle and haystack experience (which was all the more frustrating as PhD submission date is in 3 days). Including the citationID would made this much more pleasant (well, less unpleasant anyway).

The error is associated with the refreshing part that generates this type of output; 2 lines per citation. You can see there is the itemKey, but citationID would be much more helpful to output, too.
    (5)(+0000034): SELECT ROWID FROM relations WHERE 1 AND subject=?
    (5)(+0000000): Binding parameter 1 of type string: "http://zotero.org/users/1702/items/H4KGCUC3"
  • For your troubleshooting pleasure, I have isolated one of the offending field codes in a document and generated a debug log with ID while refreshing.

Here is the offending field code, which was located immediately after a working field code for the same citation. Furthermore, the offending field code did not generate anything visible which is why it was hard to find without turning on field codes for all fields in the document.

{ ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM {"citationID":"dqDRRqTp","properties":{"custom":[]},"citationItems":[{"locator":"2","label":"page","uri":["http://zotero.org/users/1702/items/H4KGCUC3"]}]} }

I am using Mac OS 10.7.2 with Zotero SA 3.0b2.1 and Microsoft Word integration. The Debug ID of the failed Refresh is D770580641
  • My Report ID is 587326700

I am now getting the message "Zotero experienced an error updating your document TypeError: This parameter must be a string or Unicode object."

Any simple advice that I can follow to fix it???
  • I am having the same issue and it is driving me CRAZY. When I try to add a citation or refresh zotero codes in a document that I have been working on for quite some time, I am receiving this same error: "TypeError: Parameter must be a string or Unicode object." I have only had problems since Firefox and Zotero updated a few weeks ago..otherwise my experience with Zotero had been flawless.

I have too many field codes to replace them individually. Is that the solution that others have tried?

Running on Mac OS10.6.8, Firefox 10.0.2 and Word 2011. I tried a debug log, Debug ID D753748045. Any advice?
  • Thanks very much for the link. At first glance, this seems to have remedied the problem (by turning off track changes, copy/paste into new doc, renaming the doc). I'll update if I have more problems, but this seems to be the fix for renewed Zotero-Word harmony. (simple solutions are good!) Thanks again.
  • It would be great if someone who is experiencing this issue could send a document or a part of a document that reproduces the issue to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • Hi there,

I seem to be having the same problem. Zotero was fine earlier today. Now suddenly I get the message "This parameter must be a string or unicode object" when ever I try to insert a citation.

I've tried the steps in the link above, but nothing seems to help.

When opening a new Word document everything's fine. Unfortunately starting new isn't an option as my document is too long and complex.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.3, Firefox 10.0.2, Word 2011.
    Debug ID: 1998255121

Is there anything else I could try out which is "easy" as I'm not an IT-expert?

Many thanks in advance!!
  • as Simon says:
    t would be great if someone who is experiencing this issue could send a document or a part of a document that reproduces the issue to support@zotero.org
  • Just went through all your suggestions again and now it's working! Don't know what I did differently this time...

Thanks for posting them and sorry for bothering you!

Keep up the great work!
  • My report ID is: 944816989

I have followed the directions given (as far as I can tell) and not luck on fixing the error message: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document TypeError: This parameter must be a string or Unicode object."

Every time I try to add a footnote, this occurs.
  • thevaughns, can you email your document to support@zotero.org?
  • For anyone finding this thread, this problem should be fixed in the latest version of the Word for Mac plugin.