Switching from a WebDAV storage to Zotero file Storage.

I am considering purchasing Zotero File storage and switching from my existing idisk used for WebDAV storage. Once set up, will zotero file storage automatically copy all my existing files associated with each library entry (journal pdfs, etc) or will I have to transfer these manually.

Thanks in Advanced

Steve
  • As long as you have them all stored locally, Zotero should upload them automatically when you switch modes.
  • Fault report error: 159913728

Transferring from iDisk WebDAV to Zotero Storage. A user's experience.

With the imminent demise of the Apple iDisk, I have just today commenced the process of transferring my Zotero file and data storage from WebDAV iDisk to Zotero 'cloud' storage.

I had considered using Dropbox, but several remarks on the Zotero discussion site have alarmed me about the reliability of Dropbox for this CRITICAL LIFE SUPPORT FUNCTION!!! So I choose to err on the side of the absolute safety of Zotero/Amazon storage.

So far I have conducted these steps:
    - Completed a Zotero manual sync
    - Quit Firefox
    - Duplicated my local Zotero folder, using the instructions detailed in ANNEX A below
    - Copied the duplicate Zotero folder to my backup storage using TimeMachine
    - Noted the size of the Zotero folder. (Just over 5 Gb)

- Restarted Firefox
    - Purchased Zotero Storage (10 Gb), as explained here: http://www.zotero.org/support/storage
    - Opened Zotero preferences
    - In Zotero preferences selected the'Sync' tab
    - Changed File syncing from WebDAV to ZOTERO
    - Checked 'Sync attachments files in group libraries using Zotero Storage'. (Previously an unchecked item. I vaguely recall this option caused me problems in the very remote past.)
    - Quit Zotero Preferences
    - Clicked Zotero sync icon.

- Got Zotero Sync error id: 159913728
    - Panicked slightly
    - Began writing this message
    - Noted that sync seems to have started again of its own accord.
    - Received slightly worrying message about syncing of files in group libraries - See Annex B below
    - Ignored preceding message, since I haven't been using group libraries for a very, very long time ... but I might do so in the near future...
    - Received a few messages seeking to resolve conflicts between local and zotero storage data

- Note that syncing now seems to be humming along fine, as at 18:48 local time. It's been syncing for about 30 mins so far.
    - Note that the syncing will probably take many, many hours, since about 5 Gb of data must be uploaded, and I am on an ADSL-2 line with a current effective upload speed of 40 KB/sec (as measured by Activity Monitor)
    - If my arithmetic is correct, the upload should take 34.7 hours <= 5 Gb/40 Kb/s = 5,000,000 Kb/40 Kb/s = 124,000 s = 124,000/60 min = 2083 min = 2083/24 hour = 34.7 hour

- Phew! The joys of living in a second world country! There is fibre in the telecom cabinet 500 metres up the road, but it won't be installed to our house till 2019!

- The little blue 'sync progress' meter has just now got a flicker of blue showing, so something good is happening.

- I'll advise further eventualities later, and trust that Dan Stillman's remark of 2011-5-7 is correct.
    - Touch wood, and time for tea!

- Thanks Zotero for good documentation and what appears to be a simple way to make the switch from iDisk to Zotero storage.... I hope!

- Question: what happens when I alter the File Sync settings on my Work computer? Hopefully not a further 37 hours of file reconciliation!

ANNEX A
    Backing Up Your Zotero Library. (n.d.).Zotero Documentation. Retrieved October 28, 2011, from http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data

How to back up your Zotero library - Zotero Support - LibGuides at Northwestern University. (n.d.). Retrieved October 28, 2011, from http://libguides.northwestern.edu/content.php?pid=68444&sid=676064

ANNEX B
    You no longer have file editing access to the Zotero group 'Creativity in communication (CraC) Unitec NZ', and files you've added or edited cannot be synced to the server.

If you continue, your copy of the group will be reset to its state on the server, and local modifications to items and files will be lost.

If you would like a chance to copy your changes elsewhere or to request write access from a group administrator, cancel the sync now.
  • The little blue 'sync progress' meter has just now got a flicker of blue showing, so something good is happening.
    You can hover over the blue bar to see the file progress.
    Question: what happens when I alter the File Sync settings on my Work computer? Hopefully not a further 37 hours of file reconciliation!
    Zotero will never re-upload files that are already on the server, and if all goes well it won't download them again either. Note that it may show that it's going through all the files, but it shouldn't actually make unnecessary file transfers.
  • 22:12 local time (NZT)

About 540 Mb uploaded since I last restarted my Mac according to Activity Meter. I estimate about 450 Mb has uploaded.

I've been working on another project and just came back to Firefox to find this message:

If you receive this message repeatedly, restart Firefox and/or your computer and try again. If you continue to receive the message, submit an error report and post the Report ID to a new thread in the Zotero Forums.

So I have restarted Firefox.

Zotero sync has restarted, and is chugging away at a stable rate of 42 Kb/s

Oh yes: 4.2Gb remain. So 20 per cent uploaded. That's according to plan! So far, so good. Another 2294 files to upload.

Thanks, Dan!
  • 03:47 hours

I took a slight diversion uploading a video to YouTube from iMovie. Neither process seemed to enjoy the company of the other: iMovie crashed while uploading. So now I have re-initiated Firefox after a four-hour pause.

2240 files and 4.2 Gb remain to upload.

Slightly better upload speed, as you might expect this time of a Saturday morning: 55 Kb/s. 7 files uploaded whilst I prepared this message.

Back to bed!
  • 07:48 hours

1% complete. 4.18 Gb remaining. Upload speed 65 Kb/s Data sent: 1.82 Gb including my iMovie video to YouTube

Hmm. Nothing much seems to have happened over the last four hours.

Firefox using 10 % of CPU.

I think I will restart Firefox.
  • 09:05 hours

0 % complete.... ????
    4.189 Gb remaining ... and falling. Good. Data sent 2.43 Gb.O.6Gb sent since 07:48 h ... but not sent to Zotero, it seems!

Blue indicator shows (1/2214 files) I don't know what those two figures represent.

Upload speed 100 Kb/s. Kids and gamers must still be in bed!

Firefox main user of CPU at 10 %.
  • 11:30 hours

Progress 2%
    Upload 4.10 Gb ... but no change in counter.

2212/2214 files.

Data sent 3.07 Gb according to Activity Monitor. Another 0.63 Gb sent since 09:05 h... but not from Zotero, it seems! And I have done not much else!

Seems to be stalled, but still upload activity at 80 Kb/s

Time to restart Firefox and computer I think.
  • 11:50 hours

Restarted Mac.

Firefox showed Not Responding, so I Forced Quit and restarted Firefox.

I vaguely recall a message from Dan S saying this is a 'known feature'.

Restarted Firefox. Not responding for about 10 mins.

12:04 h
    Progress 0%
    Uploads 4.100 Gb. Ticking over nicely.
    Data rate 40 Kb/s (Activity Monitor)

(4/2148 files) - what does this mean? I guess 60 files (2214 - 2148) have been uploaded since 11:30 h

Data sent: 17 Mb (Activity Monitor)

Time for a Saturday afternoon jog round the block!
  • Zotero will upload as fast as your network will allow.

If it gives you an error or stalls, you can restart the sync.

That's pretty much all there is to it.
  • 14:31

Progress 1%
    Uploads 3.701 Gb. Ticking over nicely.
    Data rate 40 Kb/s (30 to 45 Kb/s) (Activity Monitor)

(31/2002 files)

Data sent: 296.8 Mb (Activity Monitor: Total since restart at 12:04 h)
  • 18:23 h

Progress 4%
    Uploads 2.91 Gb REMAINING [note correction to annotation to previous postings for this datum]. Still ticking over nicely. Going away for a walk works!

Data rate 40 Kb/s (30 to 52 Kb/s) (Activity Monitor)

(132/1624 files)

Data sent: 687.8 Mb (Activity Monitor: Total since restart at 12:04 h)

Firefox using 13 to 17 % of CPU
  • Thanks, Dan.

Dan Stillman said:

Zotero will upload as fast as your network will allow.
    If it gives you an error or stalls, you can restart the sync.
    That's pretty much all there is to it.

I have tested the DSL line speed and sent Traceroute and Ping information determined using my Mac Network Utilities app to my network provider. I am now going to try unplugging the modem for a minute to see if anything gets reset helpfully 'up the line'.
  • 18:59

Conducting Isolation Test on my ADSL-2 network, as per

Isolation Test – what is it, why do it, and how to do it. (2011).Orcon. Retrieved October 29, 2011, from http://www.orcon.net.nz/support/gfaq_page/isolation_test_what_is_it_why_do_it_and_how_to_do_it

As per instructions, I have now:

- Shut down Mac

- unplugged AppleTV, Satellite (SkyTV), telephones from modem and telecom ports.

- Configured just an ethernet cable linked to my iMac from my wireless modem (Linksys WAG200G)

- Unplugged the modem for a minute to see if anything gets reset helpfully 'up the line'.

- Restarted Firefox

- Quit Mail, Skype Facetime, and most other apps
    - Retested line speed using Speedtest.net:
    - Now line speed back to what it used to be
    - Download 7.11 Mb/s Upload 0.79 Latency (Ping?) 14 ms

Data as at 19:06 h

Progress 2%
    Uploads 2.787 Gb REMAINING

Data rate 100 Kb/s (95 to 113 Kb/s) (Mac Activity Monitor)

(55/1443 files)

Data sent: 74.0 Mb (Activity Monitor: Total since restart at 18:59 h)

Firefox using 12 to 23 % of CPU

WELL: That was worth doing.... I'll leave the phone, SkyTV, and AppleTV disconnected till after dinner.
  • 20:13 h

Progress 11% - At last - the blue 'sync' slider is showing some colour!
    Uploads 2.154 Gb REMAINING

Data rate 100 Kb/s (100 to 114 Kb/s) (Mac Activity Monitor)

(365/1443 files)

Data sent: 461.0 Mb (Activity Monitor: Total since restart at 18:59 h)

Firefox using 13 to 18 % of CPU

LESSONS:
    It's worth checking the health of your ADSL line speed using a line test site such as Speedtest.net.

Everything Dan Stillman has said is proving accurate... thanks!

Be patient... Avoid doing anything else on your computer whilst the sync upload to Zotero proceeds. Quit surplus apps

To check the upload is working correctly I suspect you should:
    - Keep an eye on your Activity Monitor 'Network' Data sent/sec(Mac), and
    - Hover over the blue Zotero sync bar to observe the file progress. The line marked Uploads xxxx Kb remaining should be DECREASING. If static, then I suggest restarting Firefox, or your computer.
  • Sunday morning
    08:16 h

All completed.

Data sent 1.88 Gb (Activity Monitor: Total since restart at 18:59 h)

Just four files needed reconciliation between the local and remote server. Three identified early on in the process, and just one resulting in the overnight upload between 20:13 and 08:16.

I will now see what happens if I restart Firefox. I suspect all will be OK.

Thanks Dan and the Zotero team. Pretty painless, really! ... apart from my faulty ADSL line connection which is now repaired.
  • Zotero storage used about HALF the storage you might expect....

Now I have returned to my Zotero | settings page. I discover that I have used HALF the storage that I expected: 2.5 Gb

That means I have paid for 10 Gb rather than 5Gb.... a difference in payment of $100 versus $60 per year.

This message refers to my posting (pmellalieu)of about 36 hours earlier:

Transferring from iDisk WebDAV to Zotero Storage. A user's experience.

The Mac File Info on the Zotero file indicated about 5.2 Gb, so I definitely needed the next increment of 10 Gb of Zotero storage ... I thought.

The actual Zotero storage I needed on Zotero's filestore cloud was: 2485.6 MB ie 2.5 Gb, just 25 % of the storage I have purchased.

What I SHOULD have done is purchase a month of storage (10 Gb), completed the upload, and adjusted the storage requirement down to 5 Gb after discovering exactly the amount I needed.

Will I get a credit refund if I reduce the storage I want now?.... I doubt it, but I will make the reduction anyway: I do not expect to double the amount of storage I require over the next 12 months.... Except that with the loss of the Apple iDisk, my use of Zotero may increase my use of Zotero storage for working documents.
  • I have initiated the reduction in my future Zotero Storage requirements

My 'Zotero storage' records now state:

After Purchase
    New Quota: 10 GB
    New Expiration: 28/10/2012

Scheduled Changes
    Old Quota: 10240 MB
    New Quota: 5120 MB
    Effective: 28/10/2012
    New Expiration: 28/10/2013

So, that's sorted. Plain and simple, really.

Now to shift my Apple MobileMe photo albums, and iWeb web sit hosting. That's a story that will be told elsewhere!
  • It's all worth the work, folks!

I visited 'My Library' on Zotero. What's great is I can search easily through my library and LOCATE the attached files (.pdf, .doc)....

Now, I can download the attached files to whatever computer I happen to be sitting at with my web browser.

Was I able to do that before I set up Zotero Storage whilst I was using iDisk storage? I don't know ... I never attempted this trick....

Move over iDisk .. and Apple iCloud, perhaps!
  • Was I able to do that before I set up Zotero Storage whilst I was using iDisk storage? I don't know ... I never attempted this trick....
    No, that wasn't possible before. ZFS has better integration across the board, since files in WebDAV are not directly visible to the Zotero servers.
  • Will I get a credit refund if I reduce the storage I want now?.... I doubt it, but I will make the reduction anyway
    The site can't process refunds automatically, but since you just signed up, feel free to contact storage@digitalscholar.org to downgrade your plan for the current year.