How to make zotero-word's citations editable by endnote?

Hello,

First, please excuse me for my english, it's not my native language.
Second, here's my problem :
I've just used zotero to insert citation and bibliography in a word document. I sent the word doc and a RIS converted librairy to my director who's using endnote. The problem is he can't edit the zotero's citations with endnote-word pluggin.
Is there any way to convert zotero's citations into endnote-editable citations???

Of course, I need to do it quickly and I'll be very thankful for every solution.

Thanks
  • Is there any way to convert zotero's citations into endnote-editable citations???
    No. Tell him not to edit the citations.
  • Sure! I've just to say my work is perfect and he don't really need to do any changes...

Maybe I said a too-early "thanks"
  • No reason to be snarky. bdarcus is right, the answer to your question is no.
    He can edit everything else in the paper, just not the citations.
    The alternative is for you to remove the Zotero field codes in the document that you send him and keep a copy with field codes, then manually transfer his edits to your Zotero copy.
  • OK, all apologies if I was snarky but bdarcus' answer did not seem very friendly either...
    Thanks to you two.
  • See http://www.zotero.org/support/forum_guidelines#be_civil : "A short response should not be interpreted as anything other than an attempt to solve the issue or solicit additional information in an efficient manner."

Remember that most people answering questions on this forums are unpaid community members, and quite a few of us skim through all Zotero forum posts (of which there are tens of thousands a year), which is quite a time investment. And bdarcus did answer your question within a couple of minutes.
  • Also, in my own experience writing academic papers, I would always send my Zotero-formatted papers to my professor for review. He would edit the text, and if he wanted references to be changed, he would indicate that by adding a comment, either on a paper printout or in Word itself (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/insert-or-delete-a-comment-HA001219010.aspx). I was the only one editing citations.
  • Ok, I already apologized but I reiterate my apology. I didn't want to be rude but I still think that bdarcus answer would have been better without the "Tell him not to edit the citations". If the answer is "no", I did not understand the interest of following, and as we are speaking about my director, I found this part somewhat sarcastic...
    Thanks all for your help, I'll tell your solutions to my boss
  • Just to be clear:
    the "tell him not to edit the citations" really is crucial. He can edit everything else, but if he edits the citations they will break (or his edits will be erased w/o a trace) when you get the document back.
  • edited October 20, 2011
    If your boss does edit the citations by hand, those changes will be lost as soon as Zotero refreshes the citations in the document, so bdarcus' warning is relevant.

(and adamsmith and I didn't mean to criticize your tone; but short answers are common on these forums, and shouldn't be seen as unfriendly)
  • I understood, in any case he can not edit my citations with EndNote and if he performed manually, it does not seem to affect the citation but apparently I'm wrong. Is there a way to stop zotero refresh?
    Anyway, if there's no way to do the change with zotero or a word's macro, I think I'll have to redo everything with a trial version of endnote...
  • as noted above:
    "The alternative is for you to remove the Zotero field codes in the document that you send him and keep a copy with field codes, then manually transfer his edits to your Zotero copy. "
  • edited October 20, 2011
    You have three options:
    1. Ask him to tell you what needs to be changed, instead of making the changes directly.

2. Remove Zotero field codes, let him make the changes, and then add/edit future citations by hand (or semi-manually; you can still use Zotero's Quick Copy feature).

3. Redo the entire document in EndNote.
    Unless your citations are really screwed up, I would think the first option is easiest.
  • edited October 21, 2011
    OK, all apologies if I was snarky but bdarcus' answer did not seem very friendly either...
    You were reading into this snark that wasn't there. To rintze's quote, I was busy, and so being as brief, and precise, as possible.

Would you have preferred a short response, or no response at all?

BTW, these days I give my grad students feedback using Google Docs. My current student is writing in Word though, and just loads the document into GD for comments and conversation, and then adapts that to his Word document.