winword integration

I've successfully downloaded firefox 7.0.1, and zotero2.1.10. However, each time I try to install the winword integration I get the following message:
"zotero winword integration could not be installed because it is not compatible with firefox 7.0.1"
I tried all three available word integration plugins, and was able to get the first one to install. And it shows up in the word tool bar, but when I click on any of the icons it says that the version of the plugin is not compatible with the current version of zotero. How can I force the most recent plug in to install or how can I 'downgrade' to an older version of zotero.

I'm not sure if this is the right report id, but after eliciting the above "not compatible error", I generated the following report id: 1685930183

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've tried to look, and none of the other errors appeared to be the same.

Thanks
  • Sorry. If its pertinent, the computer is running Windows XP, and the word version is from the microsoft office 2007.

Thanks again.
  • you should install the plugin from here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation_for_zotero_2.1
    Which of the messages do you get for that and at what point?
  • when I click on the link above, and then click on the "install word for windows plugin ..." link, the little green puzzle piece appears at the top, and it says add on downloading. However, once the download is complete, then the error message appears (with the same green puzzle piece)"Zotero winword integration could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 7.0.1"

Thank you for your recommendation. Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • I've restarted both firefox and the computer. The error still shows up. Report id 748245934

I appreciate your input
  • I am facing the same issue but on a Mac. I am running OS Lion with latest version on firefox 7.0.1. The machine is running word 2008. Up until last week, the zotero to word integration was working fine but today it simply didnt work and gave an error regarding word integration. Kindly provide some assistance on this as I am desperately in need of uploading the citations/bibliographies into my report. Thanks.
  • nomaan - that doesn't sound like the same issue - start a new thread and be more precise about "and gave an error regarding word integration"
  • So, I was never able to fix this problem with firefox 7.0.1. However, I down-graded my firefox to 4.0 and now the winword integration works just fine. Not sure what the problem is, but on my end, it appears to be an issue with the newest firefox. Thanks.
  • edited October 19, 2011
    I use Zotero 2.1.10 with Zotero WinWord Integration 3.1.2 in Firefox 7.0.1 and the WinWord Integration also got disabled due to "incompatibility". I have a similar issue with three or four other add-ons (FoxClocks 2.9.25, Back To Top 6.0.1, Cookies Manager+ 1.5.1 ..). Although those other add-ons are listed on addons.mozilla.org as compatible till Firefox 8.* or so, the install.rdf files which are included in the extensions' xpi-files themselves have max. versions like 4.0.*, 6.0a1 or 6.* only. In case of the Zotero WinWord Integration 3.1.2 the max. version seems to be 6.0.*. Might the issue have to do something with that? I have displayed max. versions in Firefox's add-ons manager with the help of "Is It Compatible?" (0.5.3) (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/is-it-compatible/). Despite the strange max. versions within the extensions' rdf files themselves, it shows those numbers in my main profile only, a test profile displays them as compatible till 8.*. Btw, those "incompatible" add-ons including Zotero WinWord Integration worked once but were "suddenly" disabled for, to me, no obvious reason. I keep those observing in a Firefox test profile but am not sure how to reproduce the problem. Maybe it's some kind of conflict with another addon..

I didn't mean to jump on this thread for help (ok, I have to admit that of course in a way I did), but rather hope to shed some light on the issue and give an alternative perspective.
  • Weird - I see what you're saying about the install.rdf, that's helpful - maybe Simon can clarify. If you want to continue using FF 7.0 and the plugin you can just install the add-on compatibility reporter:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/
    and mark it as compatible. It's a workaround, but since the plugin really is compatible there's no risk involved.
  • Ok, thanks for the tip. Btw, I discovered that if I manually upgrade or reinstall those add-ons it works again. I did that before but at some point they were disabled again. Thanks for thinking into it.
  • edited October 19, 2011
    The install.rdf file points to an update.rdf file that contains the minimum and maximum version supported. If you are connected to the internet and Firefox says Zotero or a word processor plugin is incompatible, then there is a bug in Firefox; this is supposed to work.
  • Ok, thank you for clarifying things. I had a look at that update.rdf file hosted online, too, and I understand. So it might have something to do with Firefox itself or some conflicting add-on. I keep observing the issue. Thanks