Error message during/after sync - report ID 1941968790

On Zotero on my PC, I deleted everything from the (shared) folder Group Libraries / AENV-RSA / _S Bennett references; selected all 352 entries in the (local) folder My Library; dragged them to the empty shared folder; waited for that to finish; and clicked on the sync icon.

This produced an error message. Twice (or three times) I exited Zotero re-started it, tried to sync again, and again got an error message (see below).

When I look at the shared folder with my browser, there are 357 items, and the tags have not been updated (plus which, there is one in there "Blood Pressure" that so far as I know is not one of mine as it is utterly unrelated to the work I'm doing).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sara B.

Error message:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: 9f1dfee8)' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: 9f1dfee8)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 895}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: 9f1dfee8)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 895}]

• This shouldn't happen, but running your database through the DB Repair Tool should fix it.
  • I ran my database through the DB repair tool (which reduced the database size from about 2.5Mb to 2.1Mb), tried syncing again, and got the same result :(

Preferences / Advanced / Check Database Integrity -> didn't find any errors.

Just for the heck of it, at my PC I deleted all the entries in my shared folder, delected all my local collections, emptied the local trash, got rid of duplicate entries, and reinstalled Zotero Standalone ... same result :(

I then went to the website and thought I would try to delete (all the) citations from my shared folder there, but, it wouldn't let me - I just cannot get anything to go into the trash.

This sort of suggests to me that the database is corrupted on the server side... is there any way of fixing that, or of deleting everything and clean syncing from the PC to the server?

BTW I am running IE8 (corporate LAN so can't update), and pretty much all the Zotero pages say "done, but with errors on page" :(

Thanks for your previous help, and for any other assistance you are able to send my way.

Sara B.
  • Just for the heck of it, at my PC I deleted all the entries in my shared folder, delected all my local collections, emptied the local trash, got rid of duplicate entries, and reinstalled Zotero Standalone ... same result :(
    In cases like this I'd really recommend just letting us help you instead of taking these extreme measures on your own. Even if they had fixed the problem for you, they wouldn't have helped us fix any underlying issue, and they're more likely to just cause more problems for you (and/or waste a lot of your time).

Can you provide another Report ID and a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces this error?
  • > Can you provide another Report ID and a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces this error?

I tried but...

1. The 'Debug Output Logging' page (http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#debug_output_logging) says, "For large amounts of output, “Submit to Zotero Server” may return an error. If so, click “Open about:config” in the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, search for extensions.zotero.debug.store.submitSize, double-click it, and reduce its value to “500000”. Then try to submit the output again."

2. I enabled Debug output, started the sync, it blew, I disabled Debug output, and tried to submit the debug output, got the error message (repeatedly) "Invalid response from server." I submitted the error report and local saved a copy of the debug output.

3. Maybe "Invalid response from the server" is a transient error, but on the thought that it's the error referred to above...

3. ...I went into about:config, looked for extensions.zotero.debug.store.submitSize and didn't find it. The extensions.zotero.debug[.<name>] entries I do find are .level (=5), .log (=false), .stacktrace (=false), .store (=false), .store.limit (=750000), and .time (=false).

4. On the thought that extensions.zotero.debug.store.submitSize had been renamed .store.limit (my apologies if exceeds the recommended bounds on creative thinking) but the 'Debug Output Logging' page had not been updated to reflect the new name, I increased .store.limit to 500000.

5. I enabled debug output, reran the sync, disabled debug output, submitted debug output, "Invalid response from server."

I have the local copies of the debug output and error report that I could email you?

Thanks again for your help past and future.

Sara B.
  • That pref is available only in 2.1.10 and the next beta after 3.0b2.

You can e-mail the output to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread.
  • Can you trigger this again? We have some additional logging in place on the server that might shed some light on this. We don't need any more ids or output—just performing another sync that reproduces it will do.
  • I just sync'ed, (1) with debug output disabled and (2) with debug output enabled.... is that what you needed me to do?
  • Give it a try now. Let me know if you still get an error.