3.0b2 bug: Rename file from parent metadata doesn't work

When I attach a PDF and right click to rename, the file is not renamed. I'm using the same process I used throughout first Zotero and 2.0 and nothing happens here. Not getting any error message, just nothing happens.
  • This generally works in 3.0b, you'll need to run through standard troubleshooting (disable other add-ons etc.) and if that doesn't help, provide more details (FF version, OS version, see if you can create an error report etc.).
  • Just in case this might not actually be related to the beta: I was running into this problem when using the release version of Zotero. It happened when I had the attached pdf opened. Since the file was open in Adobe Reader it could not be renamed. Closing the reader helped.
  • interesting. What I've found is happening to me is that the file is actually being renamed on the filesystem (Win7) but that the name is not updated within Zotero. Thus, when trying to "show file" it says file does not exist, because it has been renamed!
  • So i guess my question is, should i start from scratch with the renaming bug (the PDF not being renamed in the Zotero DB) or report the filesystem as a bug?
  • sounds like this:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/18510/losing-a-file-when-i-rename-it-from-metadata/
  • Hello! It worked! I had just migrated my whole zotero dir from another computer and apparently it had set as read only. I did a search on the forums, I swear....

Thanks again all.
  • glad that did it & don't worry about not finding it - I found it because I knew it existed.
  • Adam, i'm bumping this because I'm getting increasingly frustrated. Every third time I save a file and rename it, I run into the same issue. Sometimes the folder is re-marked Read Only by win7, sometimes its not, but i don't know what to do. have you found a long term solution to this? Do I just need to abandon Win7?
  • If you have security software installed, that might be causing it.

You have yet to provide a Report ID, though.
  • All I can tell you is that it's not Zotero - Zotero can't switch file permission.
    It might be some security software or so?
    But since it's not caused by Zotero this probably is not the best place to track it down. Maybe try a good Windows forum or even MS support?
    (though ditching Windows is a good idea anyway ;-).
  • Dan: Zotero is not reporting any errors which is why I haven't provided it.

Adam: I realize sadly this might totally be out of the scope of y'alls support, but I thought that it might be some kind of complex problem of zotero AND Win7, not just Win7. I'll look elsewhere. Thanks as always for the help.
  • Zotero is not reporting any errors which is why I haven't provided it.
    Meaning that Report Errors is greyed out?
  • No, but meaning that the errors related to other applications/plugins. For example I use HTTPS-Everywhere, the EFF plugin to force sites to move to SSL and on the particular page I tried to do this, the only error I had was that one (that also shows up in the JS console in FF) [JavaScript Error: "applicable_list is null" {file: "chrome://https-everywhere/content/code/HTTPSRules.js" line: 485}]... I think i understand the problem, it's just really frustrating - but you're right, I don't think it's Zotero's issue, its just the only time I ever come across it is through Zotero.
  • do see if you can tinker with security software - since you're on Windows I assume you have all types of locks and chains to guard your system ;-).