Zotero on a Portable Drive

I have the same version of FireFox on both a home PC and a PC at work. I store all the files on a 160GB portable USB drive. I can read/write fine at home where I started from, but the drive throws a "database upgrade error" at work. Looking thru the error console output, this appears to have something to do with the file permissions. Since I am not using an admin account on either machine, I cannot reset the read-only permissions on the directories.

I wonder 1) are permissions the problem? and 2)is there a way to keep your zotero library on a portable USB and have it work anywhere Z is installed?

Thanks.
  • This happened to me on a Windows XP machine at home and work. It was a permissions issue because the portable drive is formatted as NTFS (you should not get these problems with FAT32 drives). You will need to give your work account permissions to the portable drive (mine has administrative permissions to the portable drive) or ask your helpful IT support people to do this. Alternatively, at home you can give everyone access to the portable drive, which should then be okay at work.
  • mc

Thanks. That took care of the problem nicely.