Error msg when using MSWord plug-in for in-text citations

I downloaded the plug-in, and for a while I successfully managed to input citations into my Word files. Now I keep getting error message "5" -- is there something I can do to fix this?

Or should I uninstall the plugin and reinstall? If so, how do I do this (and not lose my current citations in the Word file)?

TIA for any help~~
  • edited June 28, 2007
    Happily I managed to figure this one out on my own. Rather than erase this post, I figure I will leave it up in case anyone else has the same problem. I'm happy to delete this post, though, if the solution is too obvious...(though it didn't occur to me for a while)

I just did the classic MSW fix-all. Closed windows, open windows, and tried again. Worked like a charm.

I feel rather silly but also relieved to have zotero up and running again.
  • rats, I spoke too soon. zotero works fine in a new MSWord document that I created for a test, but when I try to insert cites/biblio into one of my existing documents, it gives me this msg:

"An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again."

so i'm back to being stumped. any suggestions for what i should try next?
  • I'm having the same issue since last night. Has anyone had any luck resolving this?
  • We may have a solution to test. Could you please contact me by email? Any one of our support addresses will work. Thanks.
  • I am getting another error message when I try to use the zotero plug in for MWord
    "runtime error ,'2146697211 (800c0005),' the system cannot locate the resource specified"
    Anyone experiencing this particular problem and have a solution?

thanks
  • is this problem fixed by now? i had started using it for my dissertation and had to go back to biblioscape. I keep getting "Error message 5" and am just unable to use it at all.

Any suggestions?
  • When I click on the icon to insert a citation, I get the following message: "Compile Error: User-defined type not defined"

Behind that is a Microsoft Visual Basic window with code. The following is highlighted in yellow: "Function ZoteroRPC(method, needUserInput, Optional parameters As String, Optional prependSession As Boolean) As String." Then this is highlighted in the normal blue: "request as New MSXML.XMLHTTPRequest"

I get the same windows and messages when I try to insert a bibliography.

We have tried uninstalling all of the Zotero files and even the Mozilla Firefox program and reinstalling, but the same thing happens. We are running Word 2003 on the Windows XP platform.

I also have 2 Zotero toolbars, but in one, the icons are suppressed. Attempts to delete the non-functioning toolbar have been unsuccessful.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm a graduate school librarian and will definitely recommend this program to our students when more bugs are worked out. BTW, I installed Zotero and the Word plug-in on my home computer (which has Word 2002 and Windows XP), and it works beautifully.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
  • edited July 24, 2007
    OK, I'm moving away from using Zotero - The errors with the Word plugin make it more or less impossible to work with, especially once you get the "An error occured while communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again" - this is the second time I will have to rewrite my thesis assignment using Biblioscape.

I wonder if anyone is actually using it on a day-to-day basis?

And since the code to edit the Zotero word template isn't available makes it even worse
  • And since the code to edit the Zotero word template isn't available makes it even worse
    The Word template code is stored within the .dot file itself, which can be opened with the VB editor in Word, and is also available via SVN.
    I wonder if anyone is actually using it on a day-to-day basis?
    The released version was an experimental alpha release and not recommended for daily use. There are a couple development lines contributed by outside developers (John and Ian, mentioned in the Word plugin status update sticky), and both of those can also be found in SVN (in trunk and branches/ice, respectively). While you're welcome to try either (along with the latest dev version of Zotero, which fixes some related issues), we can't guarantee backwards- or forwards- compatibility with those versions. One of our developers is reviewing both versions, and we hope to release a new, supported, beta-quality version soon along with the first Release Candidate of Zotero 1.0.

In the meantime, if you wanted to use Zotero for a long paper, I'd suggest dragging items into Word to create static references (see the Quick Copy settings in the Zotero prefs) rather than using the plugin.
  • Hi Dan

Many thanks for your reply. I downloaded the Zotero template from branches/ice and some quick hack revealed that the problem seems to be when the plugin makes a SOAP call to port 50001 on localhost to connect to Firefox, passing the Zotero Session ID and a list of parameters, and fails during the RPC call.

The error message reported is "The download of the specified resource is failed"

I will try to spend some more time on this tomorrow, and will also try the static reference method you suggested.

Thanks!
  • manavg: Be sure to use the dev branch of Zotero for any debugging or coding of the plugins, as a couple critical issues were fixed on the Zotero side. You probably want to make a copy of your profile folder to try this in, since you can't revert to a previously released version of Zotero after using a dev build (though upgrading to the next released version when it's out and getting back on the release track should be possible).

If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer. The released alpha code and the ICE code are pretty different, so it's somewhat unlikely (though not impossible) that they'd have the same problem if it wasn't either a Zotero issue or an OS issue.
  • Hmm.. Another issue that I just discovered (this could potentially be a side-effect of how Word plugins work, but I haven't examined the code in enough detail to figure this out yet). However, after downloading the new Zotero template, I have lost references to all (old) citations - and I only have "{Citation}", where the Word "field" should have been. I presume this is what you meant by "you can't revert to a previously released version of Zotero after using a dev build"

Having said this, the new template in trunk seems to be holding up - I will test it out a bit more before coming back with an update.
  • after downloading the new Zotero template, I have lost references to all (old) citations - and I only have "{Citation}", where the Word "field" should have been. I presume this is what you meant by "you can't revert to a previously released version of Zotero after using a dev build"
    No, but that's what I meant by "we can't guarantee backwards- or forwards- compatibility with those versions." (The other one meant that your Zotero DB can't be used with a previously released version of Zotero once it's been upgraded to work with the dev build of Zotero.)
    the new template in trunk seems to be holding up
    The version in trunk is probably more stable and functional. The ICE branch is an effort to make the plugin (and created documents) work in both Word and various versions of OpenOffice.org on multiple platforms. While this is a laudable goal, it may not work as well in practice, which is why we're currently evaluating the best path forward.
  • I fixed my problem about the "user-defined type." First I downloaded the new update for Zotero. I still had the same error message. Finally I went into Properties of the Word plugin and into Advanced Attributes. I unchecked all the boxes. I don't understand the connection between these settings and user-defined types, but it works now.
  • I wonder if the problem of "An error occured while communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again" has been solved?

I have some Word documents having this problem, while I can insert citations normal if I create a new doc. I can certainly copy the old content to the new doc (and it works), but then I lose some information (like tracking changes) which I want to keep.

Any solutions yet? Thank you!
  • I wonder if the problem of "An error occured while communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again" has been solved?
    There are many causes of that error. See my posts on this thread for the steps you'll need to take to debug your problem.
  • edited March 17, 2009
    I'll post my problem here since this is a newer thread than the old one.

I'm experiencing a problem using the plug-in for Microsoft Word. Using Word 2007 and tried both "Zotero-Word-Plugin-Installer-1.0b3.exe" and "ZoteroWordPluginInstaller0.4.zip" and receive error:

"The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your security settings..."

This happens every time I start Word or try to use Zotero add-in to insert a citation.

The file "Zotero.dot" shows up correctly in the C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP folder and I can see it in the Add-ins tab in Word.

I so want this thing to work. My only recourse is going back to EndNote which, although unwieldy in terms of information gathering, worked without fail when it comes to inserting and managing citations through Word 2007. :-(