I always forget how to login on the wiki

I always forget how to login on the wiki, and as a consequence often end up not making the small but helpful edits I might otherwise be making. I think it would be a good idea to make a login link visible somewhere.
  • edited August 31, 2011
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb?do=login

(and agreed that a login button would be handier)
  • edited September 14, 2011
    I put this thread in the Website category.

I would like to reiterate the importance of this. Zotero will get better documentation if the process of editing is made easier. Forcing people to append some code to a URL for logging in discourages potential contributors.
  • I second this. The other day I was thinking about adding something in the wiki, but did not do so because did not remember how to login.
  • There is a link, from this page:

http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/documentation#editing_the_wiki

That's the second Google hit for "zotero wiki edit".

We used to have a button everywhere, and we removed it because many users ended up creating wiki accounts when they meant to create regular Zotero accounts.

This could probably be improved in some way, but a global "Log In" button is not the solution as long as these accounts are separate.
  • Could the button be labeled "Edit this page", and the text on the login page changed to explain the situation with the wiki having its own accounts, etc.?
  • I support ajlyon's suggestion.
  • That sounds reasonable.
  • mark Aug 31st 2011
    >> I always [hafta lookup] how to login on the wiki

+1

ajlyon Sep 14th 2011
    > Could the button be labeled "Edit this page",
    > and the text on the login page changed to
    > explain the situation with the wiki having its own accounts, etc.?

+1
  • I'll also have to bump this. Spent more time trying to figure out how to log in than I did editing the wiki.
  • bump. :-( forgot how to log in again.
  • Me too -- looking at your 'requested features' list and thinking, ha, how do I log in again? ;P
  • you mnemonic device is:
    how(?) do II(=) login --> ?do=login
    where II is an "I" pronounced so pensively that it doubles and falls over: =
    ;-)
    (to be clear - I think easier login for the wiki is _quite_ important)
  • bump

pretty please
  • Thanks for adding that link fcheslack.

It is a little awkward though, since in order to see the link you have to first log into Zotero and only then log into the docuwiki. Most people will probably first sign into Zotero anyway, but still.

Anyway, this is great. Thanks!
  • edited December 7, 2012
    We just changed that, and it was on purpose. Since we added the "Edit this page" links many people have been creating wiki accounts seemingly by accident (usually right after loading the start page and right before creating a real account). It's really unclear why this is happening (though most may be non-English speakers), but not confusing regular users is the priority here.

We've also added a warning to the wiki login/registration pages.
  • I thought that might be the reason, but with the wording of the link and the warnings on the login/registration page, this didn't make much sense to me. Oh well. This is much better anyway.