New Website

2»
  • Unless I'm missing something it is currently not possible to download files attached to library items from the website, correct? Is this coming? I work at a hospital where I am on a dozen machines I can't modify every day. Would be awesome to access my library and download/upload PDFs from a website. Thanks.
  • If the library is using zotero storage for files and you are logged in you should be able to download them. You can not yet upload attachments from the website.
  • What if the library is pointed to a 3rd party storage system; in my case box.net?
  • no. For technical reasons online file access works only with Zotero storage, not with WebDav.
  • The starting page of groups still uses the old layout which does not distinguish between attachments and top level items and which is inconsistent with the new library look. "Recent additions" can be pretty useful but not in this way. It would be nice if there were a recent additions view in the new online libraries, both group and personal.
  • Also some items still use the old layout, which can be quite problematic for notes. Example:
    https://www.zotero.org/groups/csl_styles_development/items/KJPA6K3R
  • I have to say, the new library website is great!!
    Here are some comments after playing with the new library website:
    - I would like some way to enforce one row per zotero item. On my laptop, most items go over two rows for one or two words in the title or something like that. That really make it more difficult to get an overview.
    - I would really like the entry 'year' in library settings. Date is pretty useless, I think.
    - Possibility to rearrange columns (e.g. author, year, title)
    - less space for library names (there is a lot of unused space in my case) and more space for item list
    - that is probably not straight forward but would greatly improve the user experience: drag and drop
  • @mark sorting for all fields is on its way shortly, but dateAdded and dateModified are actually already sortable. The recent items list on group pages still points to old urls. That is fixed for the next update so those will go to the new library. All items are already accessible in the new interface though.

@Joscha
    -what resolution? We're aware this is a problem, I just haven't found a cross-browser solution I'm happy with yet. Hoping jqueryui grid will solve all our problems.
    -Year is mildly complicated because it is a meta-column in the client that does what it can to parse out a year from the myriad inputs websites provide. That logic should be portable to the website so Year has the same value as the client, but it would not be sortable or searchable.
    -rearranging columns is definitely doable. Again jqueryui-grid may solve this for us if it stabilizes in the near future. If not it could be added separately ourselves.
    -is library names referring to the left column?
    -drag and drop is on the possible future enhancements list for consistency with the client, but I'm still not sure it is an interaction people typically try yet on websites.
  • - 1280x800 (13 inch macbook)
    - yes, I mean the left column. But know I realize that it needs more space when you expand multiple subfolders. I also realized that (at least from my point of view) the behavior for selecting collections is not optimal. When I want to select a sub collection, I first click on the main collection, wait for the data to load, click on the sub-collection and wait again. Together with the fact that only one collection tree can be expanded at the same time, this can lead to some waiting time.
    - drag and drop is pretty heavily advertised by google and apple and the whole html5 stuff. So I am sure it's becoming more common if people are not already used to it on the web. In any case, I think that it is a major UI improvement.

Anyways, the redesign is great. I also just took a look at jqueryui grid and it looks pretty amazing. Seems to add a lot of possibilities to the web ui.
  • Hi,
    I have problems with the tag search functionality on the new website. It works differently as in the firefox zotero installation.

I use structered (or hierarchical) tags and I love to search only for a part of a tag - regardless whether it is the beginning or end of a complete tag.

On the new website, the tag part search works only if the part is equal to the start of a tag.

I think, it's not much work to change the behavior of the tag search. It would be nice having the same search possibility online as already offline.
  • edited September 29, 2011
    The DOCUMENTATION section lost the IT (italian) pages.

I can see them if I put /IT/ in the url, but the IT button/option has disappeared.

f.e.

http://www.zotero.org/support/it/start
    http://www.zotero.org/support/it/installation
  • First of all.. on web site BRAVO! Excellent improvements and BRAVISSIMO on standalone.

Web issue -- It appears that the web Trash isn't syncing. I have deleted my trash on my standalone (Mac OSX) and synced repeatedly but the trash on the web is still (maddeningly) there.

My problem is not that of Mark (Aug 17th) but may be related?
  • mpola: Fixed.

fredlimp: Works fine for me. You may need to switch away from the trash and switch back to it on the website. If you continue to have trouble, start a new thread.

I'm going to close this thread now, but feel free to start new separate threads for individual issues.
This discussion has been closed.